Re: can't get "Microsoft Update" installed, for Exchange Anti-spam

I have another almost identical DC/GC Exchange server like this server. I
looked there at the registry entries for the wuauserv service.
(HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wuauserv) . On this problem computer
(server3) I found an EXTRA entry there for a key, called Syswow64, with a
value of 1. The good server didn’t have this entry there.

I figured that somehow an entry got entered in by some process that told
this service to use the 32-bit version for updates. (or do I have it
backwards?).
I immediately removed this duplicate entry, the service immediately started
up, and the enhanced version 6 of “Microsoft Update” then ran perfectly, and
installed as designed

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Any errors found in WindowsUpdate.log (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093)?

Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
site...: "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
requested page" [ignore title & APPLIES TO]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates [ignore title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
site, or from a WSUS server... [ignore title]

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

AllenB wrote:
I have researched this issue and done many steps to try to get the
Microsoft
Update installed. Currently, only Windows update exists. On the update
page,
the system detects there's a newer update version; I download it, the
copying files process continues, then I get the error:"The website has
encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view".
I have installed the recommended "Dial-a-fix" program, and done literally
every step possible in that program. I have rebooted this Windows 2003 R2
server. (it has every update and service pack available). I have
re-registered the DLL's. I have flushed my Software Distribution database.
I have completely erased my Software Distribution data, and made a new
file. I have turned off Pop-up blocker, flushed my cookies, my I.E. cache,
cleared temp files, enabled Automatic UPdates, restarted the service, and
run 2 programs to test if ActiveX is working as it should. All tests for
ActiveX show as it working perfectly. Please advise what else I might do
get the advanced "Microsoft Update to install and operate correctly.
Thanking you in advance, -Allen

  • Re: network slows down after SP2 install
    ... Logitech support could not correct it and suggested ... Locate the "Microsoft network server: ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... and SP2 failed to install on the other one. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: After februari updates configuring updates at shutdown
    ... Today I have sent a free Windows Update support incident request. ... KB937287 *may* apply to your Vista SP1 machine if it installs successfully. ... Save the download to your desktop, then right-click on the saved file and select "Run as Administrator" to install the package. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Vista Home Premium: Where are windows update/installation logs located? Windows servicing failed
    ... This is Sreekumar with Microsoft Windows Technical Support. ... Tried to check the event viewer. ... We could understand that windows update service restarts when ... He told me that in windows update it tries a few times to install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Automatic updates will download to P.C. but will not install
    ... Hi PA Bear. ... Start a free Windows Update support incident request: ... Support for Windows Update: ... problem but will not install either automatically or manually. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Service Pack 2
    ... whilst your post gives some support for Microsoft I am of the ... You mention site may have 'pre-existing' errors, well brand new server ... install and striaght away windows update wants to install SP2, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)