Re: Windows Updates XP Pro Failing

The updates fail to *install* or they are never downloaded from the update servers ?
Where did you get the impression that the systems will not update due to the 0x80072EFD error ? That error indicates that there's a connection issue: ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
The attempt to connect to the server failed.

Check the WindowsUpdate.logs of all of the systems to see if there is a common FATAL error present. Or, a common WARNING error:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

If the issue is just related to the installation of the updates, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
and do Method 1.

Are the 3 systems on a broadband wireless network ? If yes, hook one up directly to the broadband modem and see if it can update.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

nickmc wrote:

HI,

I seem to have exhausted most of the online helps and suggestions on this annoying windows updates failures. It is obviously an update that caused the problems in the first place. I had 3 separate laptops to deal with one with the update failure problems. One that was okay until it did the latest batch of updates, it now fails.
And a brand new laptop that I ran updates on, first did the WGA updates then did SP3 update, then updates following SP3 all okay until after the ones installed after the full SP3 update. Now same problem as the others.

So now thanks to what is obviously a microsoft update I now have 3 laptops that won't update windows. The new laptop is straight out of the box, first thing done windows updates so no other software on their except manufacturers stuff. All 3 laptops are of different manufacture.

Seems to be consistently error 0x80072EFD and

Have tried the suggested methods that have come up on these and other forums and none have worked so far. The systems all are using standard microsoft firewall, but nonetheless I've followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 suggestions and the problems remain.

Help anyone..

  • RE: Setting up laptops
    ... laptops user can do their normal work and can not install software on ... As you said, you want the user account can not install software on laptops, ... To enable OWA and VPN function on SBS: ... You have to rerun the CEICW to make sure your SBS 2003 server have right ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: continuing questions....Share Point 2.0 on SBS2003 SP2
    ... They most likely have not installed the Self Signed Certificate on their laptops?? ... is that they are constantly prompted to install ActiveX .dll files. ... Another problem is that they are constantly prompted for credentials. ... In the "Quick Launch" I select one of the serveral Document ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • R: Personal firewalls for laptops
    ... Subject: R: Personal firewalls for laptops ... another machine with tool install like Stint, Satan, Nessus. ... I installed ZoneAlarm and rebooted. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: KB842773 Setup Error
    ... Laptops were wiped of all their software ... to download updates and my plan was to continue and install SP2. ... "PA Bear" wrote: ... Why did you need to reinstall WinXP? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Error: 0x800b0100 when verifying trust
    ... the update servers via another location with a different firewall. ... I set the windows update server to automatic instead of delayed ... I'm going to take the laptops home tonight and see perhaps if it's our ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)