Re: KB110806 installation failure again

OK. Many thanks. Appreciate your efforts to help me solve my problem. I'll
study your note and try out your suggestions.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

Since I know nothing about Network Magic, there is no Support link on
their homepage, and whether SP1 *really* needs to be installed or it's
just a False Positive from Network Magic ... the only suggestion I can
make is to go over the installation logs of SP1:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/04/30/8445569.aspx

NET Framework 2.0 SP1 setup log files

The following is a complete list of log files that can be produced during .NET Framework 2.0 SP1
setup. This list may vary depending on what OS you are installing on, what processor architecture,
and what prerequisite components were already installed on the system prior to running .NET Framework
2.0 SP1 setup.

Logs produced by the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 setup wrapper:

* %temp%\dd_dotnetfx20install*.txt
* %temp%\dd_dotnetfx20error*.txt
* %temp%\dd_depcheck_netfx20*.txt

Logs produced by the packages chained during .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 setup:

* .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 verbose MSI log - %temp%\dd_net_framework20*.txt
* .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 language pack verbose MSI log - %temp%\dd_NET_Framework*20*LP*.txt

My gut feeling is that since you've installed all of the previous
updates for .NET 2.0, SP1 is not required.
Network Magic may be under the "impression" that SP1 needs to be installed.
Suggest you bypass Network Magic and use Internet Explorer to do a
manual check at Windows | Microsoft Update.
Either use the update link on the Start Menu or, open IE, click Tools,
Windows Update to initiate this manual check.

Updating .NET Frameworks are difficult enough without 3rd party sofware
intrusions. Having 3rd party software tell you that it needs updating
just makes it more difficult to troubleshoot update/SP installation issues.

You could also install the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer to see
if .NET 2 SP1 is a needed update:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f32921af-9dbe-4dce-889e-ecf997eb18e9&DisplayLang=en

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

merwil wrote:

Any simplification would be welcome! I'm a reasonably experienced user of
Windows but haven't encountered this kind of issue before and am therefore
trying to follow your instructions precisely as written. I don't want to
mess something up, then not be able to recover. Home network software is
Network Magic, and sequence of events is:

The network map indicates presence of a "Critical Alert", which is that
"Critical Windows updates are available for the desktop (the only computer in
the network that I have this problem with)

I then click on Fix this Issue, which launches Windows Update, which checks
to see if system has latest version of Windows, and recommends I get High
Priority updates, which turns out to be Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service
Pack 1 (KB110806) (x86)

I click to install and after it completes the download it comes back wit he
message Following updates were not installed/Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Service Pack 1 (KB110806) (x86)

I'm not sure what applications I use may be impacted by this but I suspect a
problem I have been having on this computer in making the Internet Explorer
home page work properly, may be connected.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

I think we're making this more difficult than it already is.

Just recently, my home network software told me there
was a critical Windows update (KB110806) not installed.

What 'home network software' is telling you this ?

I ask this because .NET SP1 is not required if all updates for it have
already been installed.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten