Re: Update KB936181 "successful" almost daily since 8/14/07... MORE

See this: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

If you can not rename msxml4.dll while in normal Windows mode suggest you boot to Safe Mode and rename it from a Command Prompt from within there.

The issue *migh* be caused by the installation of printer/all-in-one software after KB936181 was applied as it should be listed in Add/Remove Programs.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Websquad wrote:

For what it is worth, it is popping up every few hours. Also, I checked for installed software and I couldn't find it in the list via the Control Panel. The Belarc Advisor was used to scan for any missing security updates, and it flagged this as missing with a link to this URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q936181

For what it is worth, there was NO such error flagged before I installed SP3 !!

The cited URL gives some specific steps, which I intend to follow when I get a few minutes of slack time; alas, work takes priority. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

  • RE: After 1 failed update this same update has installed 11 times
    ... Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: KB954430 on laptop, not desktop
    ... I am lost with your step 3 instruction to remove the security update. ... I see the 2 files in the system32 folder. ... For Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 when installed on Windows XP Service ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Asking to download update repeatedly (xml update)
    ... keeps asking us to download and install. ... "This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft ... Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: KB933579 (XML 6.0) Wont Install- Error 0x02
    ... I'm trying to install "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 and Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 1 " via Windows Update. ... Same reults after multiple attempts: Installation Failure Error Code: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Update
    ... Everytime I install this it gives the same reason, ... A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services ... Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)