Re: stop a windows update from running

I had 1.1 service pack 1, (version 1.1.4322.2032) as well as a 1.1 hotfix
(KB886903), which I also cannot remove via add/delete program and 2.0 service
pack 1 (2.0.50727.1433).
I successfully removed the 2.0 version and reinstalled the updated one again.
The only windows update I get is the KB928366 which I have never been able
to install because I keep getting an error on it. That's what started this
whole problem by trying to get that update to install properly.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

What .NET Framework versions were installed before you ran both utlities,
Swissy?

Does Windows Update offer you any .NET Framework updates or SPs now (e.g.,
KB928366)?

Swissy wrote:
I have Windows XP SP3.
I did try both methods. When I tried running the windows installer
cleanup,
it did not show any .net frameworks on the list.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Repost: Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3). We
won't
be able to assist you any further without this information.

Did you try Resolution Method 1 (includes running Windows Installer
Cleanup
Utility) *and* Method 2 (includes running the .NET Framework automatic
cleanup tool) in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 ?
--
Swissy wrote:
I went through the steps to check my versions and then to remove them
before
reinstalling. No problem with 2.0 service pack 1, but when I removed
1.1
service pack 1, there were 2 instances of it displayed on my list of
programs in the add/remove program list. I removed one of them, but the
other still remained. When I tried to remove that one, I got a message
saying "The action is only valid for products that are currently
installed".
When I tried to download and reinstall 1.1 service pack 1, I get an
error
message that says "Upgrade patch cannot be installed by windows
installer
service because the program to be updated may be missing, or the upgrade
patch may update a different version of the program".
Do I need to install the 1.1 version before the 1.1 service pack 1? I
successfully downloaded and installed version 2.0 service pack 1.
The other problem that's occurred with these errors, is that my shortcut
icons no longer are displayed on my task bar.
Any help to resolve this .net problem would be appreciated.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3)?

1. Write down what .NET Framework versions are already installed before
you
go uninstalling/removing any of them!

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).

If no joy, see this related post by my colleague MowGreen:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/4d76de7769d04493
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Swissy wrote:
Hi, months and months ago (maybe even last summer), during the
windows
update process, there was an update for 'security update for microsoft
.net
framework, version 1.1 service pace (KB928366). I know many people
had
problems with this update failing. I've tried several of the
suggestions
fix it, but to no avail. This update keep loading everytime I start
my
computer and the notifier sits in my task bar. When I shut down my
computer, unless I select the option to shut down withoug installing
updates, it tries to run this update....which always ends in error.
My question is....how do I get rid of this update. It does not seem
as
if
it will ever be successfully installed, so I want it to stop showing
up
and
attempting to run every time I process other updates.

.