Re: Windows XP SP3 update fails

On Mon, 12 May 2008 16:01:01 -0700, IanW wrote:

When I use Windows Update to try to install XP SP3 it fails in the "Preparing
for download" step with error code 0xd0000409. I have tried this five times
and each time it fails in the same way. Here is an extract from the
WindowsUpdate log:

<snip for brevity>

Things to do prior downloadin/installing SP3.

1. Make an Image backup of the hard drive/Windows Partition before you
install SP3,

2. Test your System Restore to see if it is working correctly.

3. Make absolutely sure the machine's free of any hijackware, Trojan, or
virus infections before installing SP3.

4. Run Disk Cleanup then run a Defrag session before installing SP3.

5. Disable all real-time protections (anti-virus; anti-spyware;
third-party firewall) before downloading/installing SP3.

6. Reboot twice after installing SP3.

7. Run another Defrag.

Detailed information:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=60807c3a-8969-4ddf-beb2-8bfac9ed416b&displaylang=en&tm

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx

Create an Automated System Recovery set using Backup
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/a3516977-259b-4d55-98f9-12dbc4eb06311033.mspx?mfr=true

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Recover from a system failure using Automated System Recovery
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/e96185f5-50b7-4b14-a2fd-0155d6b174f91033.mspx?mfr=true

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Use this forum for all issues related to Windows XP SP3
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17

  • Re: Loading SP 3
    ... I'm afraid that I am in the category with the Internet 7 install (and it ... I wish I had not even tried to download/install the SP3 ... Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview ...
  • Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
    ... response when attempting to DownLoad and Install Windows XP Service ... Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: ... WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant update or download anything, PLEASE HELP!!
    ... running XP with service pack 2, cant find the normal service pack 3 ... Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the ... Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications. ... A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
    ... :: SP3 Pro and IE7 etc and have no problems. ... A separate issue, but tied to the SP3 install, after the install, ... How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Serv.pk 3
    ... Preference is to download the Service Pack and not use Windows Update. ... How to prevent SP3 from being installed on your PC ... Recommends steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)