Re: KB938371 Appears To Block Updates

Okay, as I noted I went ahead and bought a Vista upgrade with SP1 from Best
Buy. Installed it today and now everything is fixed. Shame on me for not
following the instructions from HP as to EXACTLY what had to be installed
prior to the SP1 update. Sooooo, I'm out $110 but everything is running
great now. I know it seems strange that I have Vista Home Premium with SP1
installed and buy Vista Home Premium with SP1 upgrade included it sounds
redundant. However, that is what it took to get out of the catch 22 that I
was caught in. I know that the upgrade is meant for XP and Vista Basic but I
still gave it a try and it worked flawlessly. Just selected upgrade instead
of clean install which would have wiped out the hard drive and started over
from scratch.

Did try a couple of more times to get help from MS support and they still
have tunnel vision as to everything is caused by antivirus or firewalls. I
guess that is 99% of what they deal with along with virus and spyware
problems. But they were nice and even called me back twice from God knows
where to make sure I was satisfied. When I told them what I thought was
necessary they still did not seem to understand but were very concerned that
they could not resolve the problem so I give them an A+ for trying but an F
for actual help in getting the problem solved.

"jcaudle" wrote:

I talked with HP support. There is absolutely no way to reinstall Vista
without wiping out the hard drive and returning to the original factory
configuration. I found out why I cannot go back to system restore prior to
the date I installed SP1. Apparently SP1 only saves about 10 days of restore
points and wipes out anything prior to the SP1 restore point. When you get
past 10 days you lose the SP1 restore point. Spoke again with MS support
today and they do not have a clue. They are still hung up on firewalls and
antivirus interfering.

I noteiced that Best Buy had Vista along with SP1 on sale for $99. Is worth
it to reinstall and spend the $99 rather than killing the entire hard drive
with dozens of programs I already have installed.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I encourage you to continue your attempts to resolve this problem via MS
Support or use the HP Recovery disks: I have a feeling you won't be able to
install any future critical security updates if you don't, in which case
your security's out the window.
~PA Bear

jcaudle wrote:
Method 2 requires a Vista restore disk. Since the HP restore disks
the hard drive and return the computer to it's original configuration I
think, for now, that I will just live with it. I don't have the time
now to redo about 1 week of work re-installing all my programs. At least
machine is locked down real good with firewall, antivirus, and highly
secured wireless connection with max password security. I think MS
is not used to or seen this type of problem as I have noticed in similiar
posts. Thanks for your help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Did the MS Support tech have you try (or have your tried) using Method 2:
Use System Restore | Offline System Restore in

I'm afraid your best bet would be to continue with the free Vista SP1
support option(s) available to you. If necessary, being a new Support

Please keep us posted.
~PA Bear

jcaudle wrote:
Did all you recommended. Got to the part about using Method #1 to
SP1. Used the MS instructions for getting to the uninstall screen. For
some reason it is not on the list of installed updates. Very vexing.
Thanks so much for giving your time to assist with this problem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
I downloaded a separate file for SP1.

I was afraid you'd say that.

In addition I did chat with support and they had me uninstalling my
firewall, anti-virus, etc. Left me with a unprotected computer that I
immediately installed zone alarm and AVG antivirus.

<groan> Now it's gotten even more complicated. Try the following:

1. Uninstall ZoneAlarm via Add/Remove Programs then *immediately*
the Windows Firewall. Do NOT connect the machine to the internet

2a. If you uninstalled a Norton application at the behest of MS
download/run this removal tool & reboot twice:

2b. If you uninstalled a McAfee application at the behest of MS
download/run this removal tool & reboot twice:

3. Temporarily disable AVG Anti-Virus.

4. Uninstall Vista SP1 via Add/Remove Programs
( Method 1).

5. Reboot twice. (Yes, again.)

6. Now see if you can install KB947864, KB941693, KB948590 and any
updates offered by Windows Update.

NB: Do NOT install Vista SP1 unless it's offered by Windows Update!
~PA Bear

jcaudle wrote:
I downloaded a separate file for SP1. I also chatted with MS today
about 4 hours. No luck in fixing the problem. Unfortunately I cannot
system restore since the restore point does not seem to exist even if
click go back 5 days. Is there a way to go back further?
In addition I did chat with support and they had me uninstalling my
firewall, anti-virus, etc. Left me with a unprotected computer that I
immediately installed zone alarm and AVG antivirus. I believe they
to handling such problems and not what really is happening. Your
most informative.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
The original release of Update 938371 updates several internal
that Windows Vista requires in order to install or to remove Windows
Service Pack 1 more reliably. This update must be applied separately
you install Windows Vista SP1 to make sure that Windows Vista SP1 can
installed or removed from the computer.

I have Vista home premium sp1 installed.

Did Windows Update offer the machine Vista SP1 or did you
it manually?

Looks like you're in a Catch-22 situation: You can't install 938371
Vista SP1 is already installed but you may not be able to install any
updates because 938371 isn't installed.

Unless you want to see if uninstalling SP1 resolves the problem (cf., I'd recommend opening a free
support incident. See links in my previous reply.

jcaudle wrote:
Not the activity I am having. The computer does not restart. Just
an error 800B0100 when using Windows Update. What is odd is that
appears in the listing of installed successful updates but also
the list of important updates. Have tried installing each update
individually but no luck. When I click update the progress bar
nothing is being transferred. Have tried turning off firewall and
virus but still same behavior. Something is blocking all security
but allowing non-security updates to proceed normally.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message,
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:
• CA:
• UK:
• AU:
• Other: |
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Support for Windows Update:

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are
security updates.
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin;

jcaudle wrote:
I have Vista home premium sp1 installed. Also have KB938371
successfully on 4/9/2008. Since then the only updates that
Defender definitions. All security updates will not install
how many times I try. Suggestions as to allow these updates to
would be greatly appreciated. The updates that refuse to install
KB947864, KB941693, & KB948590.