Re: repetitive MS automatic update KB936181

Show hidden files, folders, and system files and then do a Search for msxml4.dll.
The one in %windir%\system32 should be at Version 4.20.9849.0 as should be the one in %windir%\system32\dllcache.

my Security Software alerting me to a High Security issue and referring me to the Microsoft Article MS07-042 to correct the problem.

Please post the name of the ' Security Software '.
Is there a kb941833.log located on C:\ [or whatever the root drive is]?
If not, try installing it with this command -

" To install this update in quiet mode together with verbose logging, type the following command:
msxml4-kb941833-enu.exe /q reboot=reallysuppress /l*v c:\kb941833.log "

Perhaps that will generate a useable log.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

denmarfl wrote:

Although it appears KB936181 has sucessfully installed in my PC....11 times....I did attempt to use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941833.... When it ran I got this error ...."Error opening installation log. Verify that the specified Log File location exists and is writable".

Again, my concern now is not about KB936181 is or has been repeatively installed on my PC (I stopped it by unchecking it in Available Updates...and Clicking Hide)....its about the my Security Software alerting me to a High Security issue and referring me to the Microsoft Article MS07-042 to correct the problem. Microsoft Tech has not been able to correct this.......so the Alert continues. No one seems to know why...or how to correct this issue.....

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

Uninstall is the removal of a program/application via the Control Panel - Installed Programs or, by running the included uninstaller provided by the software's manufacturer.
Delete is the removal of a file or folder.
They're not the same thing, although Robert *never* mentions deleting anything in his post.

There are a few scenarios that will cause MSXML update installation failures:

1) Printer software that holds the MSXML files in use [locked] and will not permit their being swapped out so that a later version can replace it.
2) Security software that protects system files and will not allow their replacement by an update.
3) Misconfigured or more than one firewall being run that will prevent the complete download of a software package which results in an incomplete update. [applies mainly to Vista since it uses such software packages]

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Description of the security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0: August 14, 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

See: Known issues with this security update and More information about this security update

An update is available that improves the compatibility and the reliability of Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 on a Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941833

Note The HP printing software sometimes locks the Msxml4.dll file regardless of which operating
system you are using. Therefore, this file may not be deleted. If this file is not deleted, you must restart your operating system and then delete this file in safe mode.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

denmarfl wrote:

You wrote "Try disabling or, if necessary, uninstalling
your security apps before starting the install phase. Note that you don't need
to be connected to the Internet to complete the Install phase, so you could also
do a safe boot (e.g. without networking) to get that final renaming step done
also without your security apps starting up."

The words Uninstall and delete mean the same.......

Several years ago when I had a problem getting an MSXML Security Update to install, I was instructed to delete all the MSXML Updates in Add\remove and install the latest Update only. The latest MSXML Update I was told, always contains all previous Updates....so by installing just the most recnt MSXML Update....you have the protection provided by all previous updates.

My issue is somewhat different. My Security Software has Detected a High Alert Security issue.....and refernces Microsoft's Article...MS07-042 (which also references KB936181...this of course is the MSXML Update that many people have seen, including me, installed in their PC "sucessfully many times). I have been working with Microsoft.....been on the phone with 4 different tech agents.....total phone time in excess of 4 hours...and they have been unable to resolve this issue. They simply question the alert....its provided by a Non-Microsoft product...so it is easy enough to conclude "it's the ohter Software" that is the problem. Quite honestly, I don't feel that way, I feel its a valid Alert....its based on information provided to the Security Alert Software manufacturer....and it needs to be addressed. This far, Microsoft has not been able to resolve the issue......

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

"denmarfl" <denmarfl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

For clarity purposes....are you saying....delete all the MSXML 4.0 SP2
(KB927978\936181\941833)...or just KB936181?

I have no idea how you misinterpreted what I wrote to find an implication
that you should "delete" something.

If you delete 1 or all, how do they re-install if you are not connected to
the internet and downloading them again?

I take it after the delete...do a Re-boot.....then the Install? Is there a
Microsoft article on this process?

If you want to check on whether a reboot is going to do something
you would need to do a find in your registry for value name: PendingFileRenameOperations
Then capture its contents, so you have something to compare after the reboot.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/58499.mspx?mfr=true

(Live Search for
pendingfilerenameoperations site:microsoft.com
)

So, you could use the names to check the versions of the old modules, and the new modules
before the boot and then use the same list to check the versions after the boot.
Similar information may be found in the install log or the event log but this would be a way
of assuring yourself that it was actually going to happen (e.g. before the boot)
and actually had happened (after the boot.)

The key point that I was making is that if you aren't rebooting that may be why
you are continually getting prompted to do the update. The update isn't actually
complete until the modules which were in use (and therefore could not be replaced)
are ultimately replaced during the reboot by the PendingFile RenameOperations
facility.

Good luck

Robert
---