Re: 0x80070005 in Windows Update

After tried several ways search from google, but unfortunately they all
failed, I find your solution works for me too. 3x !

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

Are you having problems stopping and starting the Windows Update Service?
0x8007005 relates to access denied.

If your problem relates to WGA -
Error message when you try to install the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
Validation Tool from the Windows Update Web site: "0x80070005"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917499/en-us

Also check the permissions in the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LegitCheckControl.LegitCheck and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LegitCheckControl.LegitCheck.1

SYSTEM and Admins should have full control.

If your problem is relating to the Automatic Update Service about not be able to
stop it etc. see below
The automatic update service could not be stopped

1. Reboot the computer.
2. Open regedit and delete the following key which contains the WU service
configuration):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv
3. Reboot the computer
4. Install the AutoUpdate service - run this command.

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection AutoUpdate
132 %SystemRoot%\inf\au.inf

Note that the line wraps in Newsreaders therefore I have made it two lines.
When you run the command, it's important that it's only one line.
Please note there is a space between AutoUpdate and 132
Also if asked for the CD, direct to the folder %windir%\servicepackfiles\i386

5. Reboot the computer.
6. Check to see if you can start and stop the Automatic Update service.

--

===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"Nakai" <Nakai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| TAURIAN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. IT DIDN'T WORK. SEE MY COMMENTS BELOW.
|
| "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:
|
| > Check points:
| >
| > Make sure the Administrators group has Full Control permissions to the Auto
| > Update registry key.
| > 1. Use an account that has administrative credentials to log on to the
Windows
| > XP computer.
| > 2. Click Start, click Run, and then type the following command: regedit
| > 3. Click OK.
| > 4. Navigate to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto
| > Update
| > 5. Right-click the Auto Update folder, and then click Permissions.
| > 6. Make sure that the Administrators group has Full Control.
|
| YES-ADMIN GROUP HAS FULL CONTROL, AND I'M LOGGING IN AS A MEMBER OF THE
| ADMIN GROUP.
|
| > Also check especially if the WindowsUpdate.log file will also read errors
| > 0x80070005 and 0x80080005
| > (for Windows XP & Windows Server 2003
| > Locate the following key:
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate.
| > On the menu, click Edit. Click Permissions.
| > For Administrator and System, select the Allow check boxes next to Full
Control
| > and Read permissions. NOTE: In certain instances, these check boxes are
grayed
| > out. Ensure all accounts have appropriate permissions.
| > Click Apply, Click OK, Close the Registry Editor.
| > Restart the system.
|
| YES - ADMIN GROUP & SYSTEM HAVE FULL CONTROL & READ RIGHTS.
|
| > If you're using Windows XP Pro make sure it hasn't been disabled by Group
| > Policy:-
| > Start/Run/gpedit.msc. User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
| > Components/Windows Update. In the right pane, double click, Remove access to
all
| > Windows Update Features and set it to the default "not configured"
| >
| ALREADY SET TO "NOT CONFIGURED"
|
| I REBOOTED, RAN REGMON, AND TRIED TO RUN THE UPDATE. I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING
| WEIRD, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR.
|
| ANY OTHER IDEAS?
|
| THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.
| NAKAI
|
| > Another workaround is to use Regmon and see for what keys get "Access
Denied",

.