Re: Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?

O.K. got busy and uninstalled Norton anti virus and checked to see if live
update worked in "system works" it did. Reinstalled Norton anti virus,
updated and everything worked....problem solved.
Had found Trojan using Counterspy and removed:
Trojan-Proxy.Win32.Xorpix.Fam Backdoor more information...
Details: Trojan-Proxy.Win32.Xorpix.Fam is a family of trojans that allow a
remote attacker to control the infected machine and use it to direct traffic
to the internet without the user's knowledge.
I had cleared this before I found a work around for the problem by
reinstalling
Hope this may help someone.

Files detected
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\Settings\config.ini
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\Settings\ivn4.dll
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\SETTINGS

"PA Bear" wrote:

You, too, can start a free Windows Update support incident!
--
~PA Bear

Charlietoo wrote:
Just wanted to say I am having the same problem. I have a dell inspron
8200
running Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600. I had problems with
windows update instillation files failing to install. All had the
0x87ffd640
error except KB892130 that had 0x87ff4940...I tried uninstalling the
downloads and ended up with several more errors. here are the last
downloads
that failed:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB937894)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified in the Microsoft Message Queuing
Service that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based
system
and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
restart your computer. Details...

Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the
computer clock on the correct date in 2007 and 2008 due to revised
Daylight
Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may
have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
remotely compromise your Windows-based system using Windows Media file
formats and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by
installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you
may
have to restart your computer. Details...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
(KB942615)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a system running Internet Explorer and gain control over it.
You
can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft.
After
you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified in the Macrovision Driver that could
allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control
over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from
Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. Details...

"PA Bear" wrote:

Thank you. I can find *nothing* anywhere about that error code, Ted.
I'd
strongly recommend that you...

Please let us know the outcome.

===================================
Support for Windows Update:

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you
call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite
the update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).

In other countries, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=securityhome > "No-Charge
Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
for localized contact information.

For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
visit the International Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

tedt_00 wrote:
Yes, reviewing update history, it's definitely 0x87FFD640.

I've XP Home, SP2.

Here are the updates:
KB944653
KB942615
KB941569
KB941568
KB942840
KB942763

"PA Bear" wrote:
Windows version? What updates? Are you /sure/ the error was
0x87FFD640?
--
tedt_00 wrote:
Downloaded and tried to install a bunch of updates tonight - all
failed
with
this same error code 0x87FFD640 - anyone know what it is? Can't find
any
documentation on it.

.