Re: error code 641

This helped.. Thank you so very much!!!

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

error 643 is a generic one and is not helpful in trouble shooting why
the update will not install. *Strongly suggest* you use the steps on
this page to remove .NET Framework 1.1:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/12/10/502439.aspx

Then download a fresh copy of it and SAVE it.
Then download the update from here and SAVE it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=281FB2CD-C715-4F05-A01F-0455D2D9EBFB&displaylang=en

After the downloads have been completed close the browser and any other
open programs.
DISCONNECT the system from the internet if it's on broadband.

*** Completely disable the installed antivirus software either by
reading the product's Help file or by consulting it's web site. ***

Install .NET Framework 1.1
Restart the system if requested to
Now install KB928366 [ NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe ]
Restart the system if requested to

REENABLE the installed antivirus software and then reconnect the system
to the internet.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Cassie wrote:

Okay... I went to the control panel and tried to remove that, but nothing
happened... I tried to install that update today and I got a different
error.. I got error 643 this time!!! What the heck is going on with this darn
computer!?!?!

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

Vista ships with .NET Framework 3.0 . So the instructions on that page
may not be relevant.
Apparently some older software requires .NET Framework 1.1 in order to
for it to run and you've installed that version. See if you can Repair
it from within Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Locate it in ARP and check the options that are available. If there's a
Change option, use that to Repair it.
One reason why the update will not install is due to interference from
antivirus software. Completely disable the installed AV from actively
monitoring the system and see if that helps in getting the update
installed, Cassie.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Cassie wrote:

Yes.. I think... I am now currently running Windows Vista... And on the dell
that I am using.. Yes.. I have windows media center..
what can I try next?
thanks for the help..

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

Is the Operating System Windows Media Center ?

How to repair the .NET Framework 1.0 that ships as part of the OS on
Media Center and Tablet PC
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/09/01/459631.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Cassie wrote:

Thanks for the help.. but it didn't work.. when i tried to use the cleanup
utility.. it says:this product is already installed as part of the operating
system. Now what can I try?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

Use Method 2 on this page:

Error message when you try to install the .NET Framework 1.1 Service
Pack 1 Update from the Windows Update site on a Windows XP-based
computer: "Updates were unable to be successfully installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922377

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Cassie wrote:

When I try installing my new updates, I get error, code 641. Not sure what
the error means. The update that trys to install is: Security update for
microsoft.net framework version 1.1 service pack 1. How do I solve this
problem?

  • WindowsUpdate_00000643
    ... while trying to install "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, ... I updated my Sony notebook to Vista from Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • "WindowsUpdate_00000643" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
    ... while trying to install "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, ... I updated my Sony notebook to Vista from Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Still cant install framework 3.5 sp1
    ... install but it will be along shortly, ... Framework from the Windows folder. ... Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework Cleanup Tool ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cart before the horse or horse before the cart?
    ... If your .net framework 1.1 is botched, follow these instructions to fix it. ... Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP ... Still having .Net 1.1 install problems? ... Dana Cline - MCE MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Still cant install framework 3.5 sp1
    ... I am still waiting for Vista SP1 to install ... Framework from the Windows folder. ... Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework Cleanup Tool ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)