Re: Vista update error code 8024A000

Searching around on Microsoft support, I found a sollution to the
problem listed under a solution for another problem. Give this a go and
hopefully it works for you or anyone running Vista with this problem.

1) Go to Start -> Run
2) Type in MSCONFIG and press enter
3) Under the 'BOOT' tab, tick the 'Safe Boot' box and select 'Minimal'
4) Press OK and proceed to restarting the computer when prompted
5) Once computer restarts log in and open Window Explorer
6) Navigate to your Windows directory and look for SoftwareDistribution
folder
7) Rename this folder to SoftwareDistribution.old
9) Run Windows update again.

SUMMARY: Windows has somehow managed to corrupt its own system files,
possibly during one of its previous updates... Once you get the Windows
update to work, you will notice that Windows Defender will start to
work.

--
ttran
ttran's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28562

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Windows XP search does not work at all - tried everything!
    ... I can't access Search from anywhere on Windows. ... folder on the CD, and it failed with the error "Installation failed". ... tried downloading MSGR3EN.DLL from dlldump and putting it on my desktop, ... I tried creating this entry (and restarting XP): ...
  • Re: XP SP3 install error 0x87FF36B7
    ... If you have not already done so, I'd suggest you first try deleting temp files, logging off and restarting the system fresh, and try again. ... Bring up Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options/ select VIEW Tab and look at all of settings listed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Problem with Frontpage 2002 acting very slow!!!
    ... I'm assuming you are using Windows XP and are occasionally restarting your ... When programs are opened and closed, you lose a small amount of memory ... folder, Click on then right-click on Programs the click 'Open All ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage)
  • Re: System Restore Crash
    ... into windows by any means, it restarts itself at the Windows XP loading ... System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. ... > CD, a repair install can fail and if it does, the only option is usually ... The machine now keeps restarting at this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: PC crashes, blue screeen error when I try to print
    ... > "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent ... that other printer drivers are affected by this problem, ... Does the sporadic restarting can cause harddisk corruption? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)