Re: Endless Loop when running Microsoft Update

Is Automatic Update enabled?

When was the last time you checked Microsoft Update for available updates?

Open Add/Remove Programs > Make sure Show Updates box is checked > Is "Update for Windows XP (KB927891)" listed here?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

ZZ_Scarab wrote:
Hi,

I was checking for updates for VS 2005 and it went to Microsoft Update to
check for installed updates. It asked me to install an ActiveX control which
I did, then it went back to the "Checking for installed updates..." loop.
The initial URL was:

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us&muopt=1

However, it blinked for a second then redisplayed the same message, this
time though, the URL was

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us&muopt=1&muopt=1

Then it did it a 3rd time, adding another &muopt=1 to the URL, that is:

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us&muopt=1&muopt=1&muopt=1

I suspect if I hadn't stopped it it would've continued this endlessly. I
tried closing IE completely and starting over.

Any thoughts on how I can get out of this bind?

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 and IE 7.

Thanks

  • Re: Restore hidden updates, apply changes, and GDI+ scan button are grayed out
    ... I do not believe that entries in my hosts file (HostsMan, Spybot, MVPS ... Since Microsoft Update seems to be working now, ... Is it a Windows Update or malware? ... Automatic Updates is set to notify me but not to download or install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Problems with updates to Office 2003
    ... registry back to before the first time he ran RegCure, ... If you disable the Ose.exe file, Microsoft Office updates do not install when you use ... Microsoft Windows Server Update Services or the Microsoft Update Web site to deploy ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Error 0x800A0046 when I try to install Microsoft Update.
    ... I am just one of many thousands that DO NOT like the Vista inteface. ... "Could not install Microsoft Update on the computer" ... I tried to install "Microsoft Update so I ... | your system administrator to see if your Microsoft Update settings are ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: WinXP Pro SP3 vs Office 2000 Pro
    ... Microsoft Update the fulll Office Update functionality. ... more than one MS support document contained a link to Office ... I know that Office 2000 Pro is no longer "supported". ... none of the updates will install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Office 2002 XP SP3
    ... Microsoft Update applies Office service packs. ... Why would I need to install an update ... "Word cannot open the End User License Agreement" error message when you install Office XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)