Re: Windows XP Crash on Boot after KB936357 Update

thanks for putting the ms phone number up. i called them to let to let them
know kb936357 gave me a blank or blue screen and i had to reinstall windows.
the only thing they told me though was what i already knew. dont install
kb936357.

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

That particular update was for "Intel processors". Another posted that she had problems
the "BSOD".
She managed to get back into working order with either system restore or last known
configuration and has reported the same to MS.

How to obtain assistance from MS Support

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for support calls that are
associated with security updates or using Automatic Updates. When you call, clearly state
that your problem is. Note any error codes etc.

In other countries, see http://support.microsoft.com/security
"No-Charge Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu for
localized contact information.

For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
International Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

<iskender@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| (posting this for a friend who's having computer problems right now)
|
| Hello,
|
| I have had problems with the update KB936357. My current setup
| consists of the following:
|
| - Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
| - a 3.06GHz P4 C Northwood
| - 2GB of kingston value RAM
| - 2 36GB raptor drives in stripe mode on the ICH5R controller
| - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
| - Windows XP Professional SP2
|
| After installing this update, upon rebooting the computer fails to
| start windows again. I get different errors, from a blank screen with
| the computer locking up or rebooting, to a blue screen with various
| error messages. The most common error says "windows has been shut down
| to prevent damage to your computer". The error occurs in safe mode as
| well as the "use last known good configuration" modes. The error
| occurs even with a fresh windows XP SP2 install, with just this single
| update installed.
|
| I replaced every part of the hardware except for the motherboard/CPU
| and the error persisted. I moved the CPU into a computer which did not
| previously display the error, and that computer displayed the same
| errors with a fresh windows XP professional install. So, it seems
| highly likely that the CPU is the culprit.
|
| Has anyone heard of or encountered any problems with the P4 C
| Northwood 3.06 GHz and the update KB936357? Is there some
| incompatibility between them? Is there any way to prevent this from
| happening, other than not installing the update?
|
| Thanks!

  • RE: Windows 98 box is owned
    ... even though I still have to convert my wife and parents over to Linux, ... > longer have support in the future. ... Windows PC's require a lot of overhead to keep ... >>2) Install ZoneAlarm. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: OTish, for those thrifty types who like xp.
    ... Windows 2000 build on all my PCs for everything except testing my ... for which I needed newer browsers that won't install on W2k. ... the firewall, but I haven't been able to update either used on the W2k ... Get your XP fully updated before support ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: IE8 wont install under XP
    ... History section at Windows Update website), you'll be better off opening a free support incident instead. ... And if you can get KB963093 & KB956572 installed, chances are you'll be able to get IE8 installed, too. ... Do NOT mention IE8 failing to install or ask any other questions!! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: windows update kb927779 always reoffers to install even alread
    ... Suggest you contact MS for no charge support in getting this Security update installed: ... And even download SP2 and install again same.... ... Then I run System File Checker tool on a Windows XP SP2-based computer by Insert the CD XP SP2,also same problem.. ... I don't see how you can repair MDAC without ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: Windows 98 box is owned
    ... Microsoft has indicated that support for the Win9x/ME series of OS's will no ... firewall, if the user tells the firewall to compromise itself; ... I've field tested some Linux distro's with Windows 9x/ME users before and as ... Perhaps it is time to say screw it and install ...
    (Security-Basics)