Re: svchost.exe error since latest windows download

Hi Julianne
One of the w2k3 or xp updates crash a file called mpi.dll, MS knows about it
but have not released an update
I had it on 4 machines and spoke with MS who released an Temp update
'KB916089' but not for public release after multiple complaints.

A temporary fix is to stop the services using msconfig.called 'Windows
Installer' & 'Automatic Updates'
That should stop it reoccurring but updating won't work unless you do it
manually.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/

I have update here but don't know if I can release it?

Don

"Julianne" <Julianne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help. I had four automatic updates applied yesterday
(KB925534, KB925257, KB924085 and KB929969). Since this time I have been
receiving the following messages at start up.

Message 1

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error. The error message then
advises that the Generic Host Process will shoutdown.

This is then followed by Message 2

The instruction at "0x00af2ae1" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "written".

In the Application event log the following message is logged

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00af2ae1.

Anybody else experiencing this or able to give me some help? I am running
Windows XP.
--
Thanks
Julianne