Re: 0x8007043B and Automatic Updates Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

Have you run Services.msc and looked closely at the services?

Start button > select RUN> type in SERVICES.MSC

The following services are needed by the processes at Windows Update. In services management console ( services.msc) they must NOT be *Disabled* in the Startup type.
They need to show a startup type of Manual or Automatic.
Here are the services & their Startup types:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS) Manual
Cryptographic Services Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Automatic
System Restore Service Automatic

Now then, look at the entry for Automatic Updates. Does it shows Started in the Status column? If not, click on "Start" the service link.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Christopher Pankhurst wrote:
Hi,
I cannot use windows update. I have narrowed it down to the fact that
Automatic Updates service does not want to start. It gives the error:
"Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured
to run in does not implement the service.". I have done a bit of
googling, and found a few suggestions, none of which have worked for
my XP SP2 computer.

first I reinstalled SP2
then

C:\Documents and Settings\chris>Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgr.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\chris>regsvr32
%windir%\system32\qmgrprxy.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\chris>regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

I have also done a cursory comparison the registry against a
different XP SP2 computer which has no problem and could not find a
different so far as "Automatic Updates" was concerned.

I have also checked that key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\SvcHost, value netsvcs includes BITS and wuauserv - it does.

Could somebody please help me out here?

Thanks,
Chris Pankhurst
.