MS Update: "Checking" for latest updates forever

Just upgraded to MS Update from WU on my already fully-updated SP2 system,
and it went well (after a reboot) except that when I go to actually check
for updates via MS Update (custom or express), the animated progress bar
"Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." never completes no
matter how long I give it. Previously, WU would never take more than about
10 seconds on this screen. It's as if the server is down, but I've tried
this several times over the last day or two to no avail. I checked the WU
log and there's only positive things there, no signs of errors or problems.
The other functions of the page work fine, such as the history and change
settings.

Is MS Update working for you guys now?

  • Re: TCP lost over time
    ... It seems to be doing it from the time thw server is ... matter if anyone is on or not. ... event logs that I can find that are unusual are 1 that ... >happens if you reboot on friday night, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps)
  • Monitor loses signal on startup. Will not boot.
    ... To solve this matter he decided to reboot the server. ... and safe mode with networking support. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Restarting Xserver from cli
    ... X server because one must know in advance that he needs to enable it. ... In case that X locks up before you enabled it, it does not matter, ... either, because X is locked anyway, so you can just reboot this one time ... Gosh! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: sbs and create mailbox
    ... As a matter of interest, I had the same problem (which seems to be listed ... I found the mailboxes were created if I rebooted the server ... ... Remember when we were not going to have to reboot with the new technology ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Another disaster recovery exercise (but not yet)...
    ... I updated a client's Server. ... indeed, I reboot before updating, and after ). ... Chkdsk is all good on all drives. ... Enabling boot logging option at boot - well, ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)