Re: windows update site just sits on checking for latest version

You're very welcome, Pat! :-) I am happy to hear that my recommended fix
has assisted yet another person who has been struggling with that problem.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Confalone" <Confalone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
> > Click on OK or hit ENTER
> > Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
> >
> > Start>Run and key in:
> > regsvr32 atl.dll
> > Click on OK or hit ENTER
> > Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
> >
> > Start>Run and key in:
> > regsvr32 softpub.dll
> > Click on OK or hit ENTER
> > Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
> >
> > Start>Run and key in:
> > regsvr32 msxml3.dll
> > Click on OK or hit ENTER
> > Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
> >
> > Start>Run and key in:
> > net.exe start wuauserv
> >
> > Now try the Windows Update site.
> >

> > Alternatively, you could create a command script file to run the above
> > commands in a Command Prompt window......
> >
> > Go to Start>Run
> > Key in:
> > cmd
> > Click on OK or hit ENTER
> >
> > In the Command Prompt window, key in:
> > notepad registerit.cmd
> > Hit ENTER
> >
> > A Notepad window will open with a dialogue box asking if you want to
create
> > a new file. Click on Yes in the dialogue box.
> >
> > Copy/paste the following, between but not including the asterisks, into
the
> > Notepad window:
> >
> > *********************
> > net stop wuauserv
> >
> > regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s wups.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s atl.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
> >
> > net start wuauserv
> > **********************
> >
> > When finished pasting the above commands into the Notepad window, go to
> > File>Save then File>Exit.
> >
> > Back in the Command Prompt window, key in:
> > registerit.cmd
> > Then hit ENTER
> >
> > When the file is done running, and you're back at the C: prompt, key in:
> > exit
> > Then hit ENTER
> >
> > Now try the Windows Update site.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "Deb" <Deb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > I just did a system restore ,and at first windows update seemed to
update
> > > itself ok.But then the page closed,and now it just says checking for
> > latest
> > > version and never does anything.Its not a popup blocker or antivirus
> > > program.there are no error messages.ie settings are medium.No mention
of
> > this
> > > in the win Update troubelshooter or knowledge base.Can someone help?

  • Re: Cant get updates at all
    ... >> Click on OK or hit ENTER ... >> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box ... >> commands in a Command Prompt window...... ... >> A Notepad window will open with a dialogue box asking if you want to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant get updates at all
    ... Open a command prompt window, ... >> Click on OK or hit ENTER ... >> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Update after SP2 installation
    ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User ... >> Click on OK or hit ENTER ... >> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box ... >> commands in a Command Prompt window...... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: windows update doesnt work at all, neither does auto updates
    ... >> Click on OK or hit ENTER ... >> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box ... >> commands in a Command Prompt window...... ... >> A Notepad window will open with a dialogue box asking if you want to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: windows update does not work