Re: windows update site just sits on checking for latest version

Hi Deb,

Give this a try..........

Go to Start>Run and key in:
net.exe stop wuauserv
Click on OK or hit ENTER

Go to Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 wups.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 jscript.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 atl.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

Start>Run and key in:
net.exe start wuauserv

Now try the Windows Update site.

Alternatively, you could create a command script file to run the above
commands in a Command Prompt window......

Go to Start>Run
Key in:
cmd
Click on OK or hit ENTER

In the Command Prompt window, key in:
notepad registerit.cmd
Hit ENTER

A Notepad window will open with a dialogue box asking if you want to create
a new file. Click on Yes in the dialogue box.

Copy/paste the following, between but not including the asterisks, into the
Notepad window:

*********************
net stop wuauserv

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll

regsvr32 /s wups.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll

regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

regsvr32 /s jscript.dll

regsvr32 /s atl.dll

regsvr32 /s softpub.dll

regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll

net start wuauserv
**********************

When finished pasting the above commands into the Notepad window, go to
File>Save then File>Exit.

Back in the Command Prompt window, key in:
registerit.cmd
Then hit ENTER

When the file is done running, and you're back at the C: prompt, key in:
exit
Then hit ENTER

Now try the Windows Update site.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Deb" <Deb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I just did a system restore ,and at first windows update seemed to update
> itself ok.But then the page closed,and now it just says checking for
latest
> version and never does anything.Its not a popup blocker or antivirus
> program.there are no error messages.ie settings are medium.No mention of
this
> in the win Update troubelshooter or knowledge base.Can someone help?
Thanks

.