RE: windows update error code 0x80240004

From: Marty McGrath (MartyMcGrath_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/09/05

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:47:02 -0800

Sometimes I think I'm so darned smart!!! Running XP Pro and ANDand Norton
Internet Security, Norton Antivirus, and Webroot SpySweeper and
WindowWasher...was getting this error message...had turned off Norton, still
getting message; turned WebRoot programs off and have successfully downloaded
the "download" program update and will next try to download SP2, etc...if
this doesn't work, will be back!! Suggest helpers always suggest runing off
any propirietary "guardian" software before expe cting download to
work...Thanks!

"Harish.G [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This error 0x80240004 can cause due to conflict in Third Party
> Applications. Since some particular third party applications can cause the
> problem. Please disable third party Anti-Virus programs, firewall or pop-up
> blockers temporarily.
>
> And test if the error message disappears. If the issue still exists, follow
> the procedure to fix the problem.
>
> Check Related Services are running.
>
> 1. Click Start, click Run and type in "services.msc" (without quotation
> marks); click OK.
> 2. Check if the following services are started.
>
> Automatic Updates
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
> Event Log
>
> 3. If any of them is not started, please double click it and click the
> Start button in the "Service status" section.
>
> 4. Click OK.
>
> 5. Try running windows update from windowsupdate website.
>
> Please let me know if this information helps!
>

> Thank You,
>

> Harish.G

  • Re: Blue Screen - Help PLEASE
    ... AV and free Firewall, what happens if the same Blue Screen shows again? ... If we go online with the NIS still installed and try to download the free AV ... ALL versions of Norton will produce a blue screen given time.. ... The notebook turned off and then back on. ...
  • Re: Some mail opens a blank page
    ... YW, Dan, and thanks again for your valuable feedback. ... Save that download link and Product or User ID for CA Internet Security ... and then run the Removal Tool to rid the machine of all Norton crapware. ...
  • Re: Restore Question....
    ... download for your OS. ... it was in the green every time (did find out my hard disk temp. ... You should save the Windows Update executable in the root of C:. ... haven't been able to find any uninstall for just the Norton and it ...
  • Re: hacktool.rootkit
    ... In addition to "what is a rootkit". ... > mode virus scanning, registry entry purging, etc.). ... Norton Antivirus reported the following: ... >> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: hacktool.rootkit
    ... Norton Antivirus reported the following: ... | online virus scanners and Norton antivirus numerous times and all seemed to ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)