Re: Cpu usage

by default Windows does no CPU capping of any kind. it sounds like the application is using 50% of the processor for whatever reason. Are you sure there is no software on the box like Citrix Presentation Server 4.0 or Windows Resource Manager or any other application that does cpu shaping?

Jeff Pitsch
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
Citrix Technology Professional
Provision Networks VIP

Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
http://jeffpitschconsulting.com

HDI wrote:
Hi,

How does the cpu usage under windows TS 2003 work?

I wrote a test script and these are the results:

1. If I start a program the cpu goes to 50% for this task and 50% in
task manager
2. If I start a second instance the cpu goes 100% in task manager and
for the 2 tasks each 50%
3. If I start a third instance the cpu stays at 100% in task manager
and for the first task 50% and the 2 other each 25%
4. If I start a forth instance the cpu stays at 100% in task manager
and for the 4 tasks each 25%

It's all working well, with an extra task I get cpu from the other
tasks.

Two questions:

a) why not 100% with 1. Is there a max of 50%.
b) why don't other applications share their cpu (ex 2 apps at 50% -->
no cpu for others)
Are there special actions when cpu doesn't share (priority is the
same)
(Can't manipulate this, I have an access prog that doesn't share
and I don't know wy)

Thx

  • Re: Very slow application starting and subsequent operations in XP Prof SP3
    ... You can display the processes in decreasing order of CPU usage by double-clicking on the CPU column. ... Next time you experience what you have described, look at Task Manager and see what processesare taking up the majority of the CPU resources. ... Paging file set to Let Windows Handle and presently it is at 800MB. ...
  • Re: Computers
    ... I don't blame the little people at Microsoft. ... Unlike Apple, which tightly controls the hardware aspect, Windows OS's are required to operate on a virtually unlimited number of configurations, and much of the performance is related to the quality of the various drivers, often provided by 3rd parties. ... So far I have not seen any of the CPU, Task Manager, screen flashing, etc. issues you describe. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • spoolsv.exe - 100% CPU usage
    ... Since yesterday evening whenever I log on to windows the system runs ... CPU available, forcing the usage up to a constant 100%. ... kind of virtual "data jam" which somehow screwed up the printer spooler. ... in the task manager almost all the processes have no ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: System Idle Process
    ... I went to the "Windows Task Manager processes" to discover that this ... System Idle Process reference... ... process is requiring CPU resources. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Help! 100% CPU usage for ANYTHING
    ... System Idle Process has 98% of my CPU and Task Manager has 2%. ... "How to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows XP" ... Open up your task manager, and tell me what your "CPU usage" is. ...