Re: How to set up an DRP 6.0 connection to not prompt the end user 5 t

Matt,

As I mentioned before, you can obtain and use the version of the client specified in the article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911913

The version referenced in the article is essentially the old client version with the default printer only capability added.
You can obtain it free of charge, simply call and ask for the hotfix. When calling, do *not* ask any other questions or for help troubleshooting the problem you are experiencing.

As for using the new version, you can create a .rdp file for your users to use that will mimic the behavior of the old client. Open up Notepad, and paste the following text into it (minus the begin and ending markers):

**********Begin .rdp file contents below this line
screen mode id:i:2
session bpp:i:16
full address:s:yourservername
compression:i:1
keyboardhook:i:2
audiomode:i:0
redirectprinters:i:1
redirectcomports:i:0
redirectsmartcards:i:0
redirectclipboard:i:0
redirectposdevices:i:0
drivestoredirect:s:
displayconnectionbar:i:1
autoreconnection enabled:i:1
authentication level:i:0
enablecredsspsupport:i:0
prompt for credentials:i:0
negotiate security layer:i:1
remoteapplicationmode:i:0
alternate shell:s:
shell working directory:s:
disable wallpaper:i:1
disable full window drag:i:1
allow desktop composition:i:0
allow font smoothing:i:0
disable menu anims:i:1
disable themes:i:0
disable cursor setting:i:0
bitmapcachepersistenable:i:1
gatewayhostname:s:
gatewayusagemethod:i:0
gatewaycredentialssource:i:4
gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:0

********** End .rdp file contents above this line

Replace yourservername with the name of your server. The above file will allow them to connect without any prompts, however, clipboard redirection will be disabled. If you want to enable clipboard redirection, change the appropriate line in the file from a 0 value to a 1 value.

Be aware that the user will have to respond to a security prompt if you enable clipboard redirection. They are free to check "Don't prompt me again for connections to this computer."

You can pre-agree to the "Don't prompt" question by adding a value to each user's registry. The value is calculated based upon which items you want them to agree to redirect.

-TP

Matt Emmott wrote:
So I'm closing in on a printer issue, and if you've read some of my
solve the issue. However, here's the problem:

After creating and saving an RDP file, I still have to change FIVE
amounts of info while attempting to connect to a windows 2003 server:

1. Initial login
2. Tell it yes, you do trust the computer
3. Check the box saying 'never ask again'
4. Enter password again
5. Remember to change the domain from the local machine to the Windows
domain, even though the correct domain is specified in the RDP file

My users are not going to remember steps 3 and 5. I'll get 20 calls a
day from users who can't connect. Is there a way to set it up like
the old RDP client, where the only time they're prompted for anything
is in the main logon to the server?

  • Re: saving password in rdp file
    ... forced to enter their new password in the rdp file anyway, ... local TS account or the domain account). ... MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... for the rdp client software. ...
  • Re: Terminal Services Client 6.0 Authentication
    ... The new client can give roughly the same auth behavior as the old client, it just works a little different on the front end. ... Connect to your XP Pro machine, but stop at the Log On to Windows prompt, with your user name pre-filled and the password box blank? ... In order to do this, you need to open up the client (manually, not specifiying .rdp file) and connect to your XP Pro machine using the same computer name stored in your .rdp file. ... What is the point to the "Remote Desktop Connection" dialog? ...
  • My solution
    ... no need to disable client integration. ... MOSS 2007 will use Active Directory authentication on the established ... The problem seemed to start after I said 'yes' to the prompt 'do you ...
  • Re: Editing Term Services RDP File to stop blocking credentials
    ... I am using the v6.0 client. ... MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... credentials, let alone save them. ... Maybe you are trying to copy a preconfigured rdp file to your ...
  • Re: Editing Term Services RDP File to stop blocking credentials
    ... choose Client Configuration on the menu on the ... MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... have setup an RDP file on the first client for each Windows ... credentials, let alone save them. ...