Re: problems with File Transfer Manager auto-install

I'm not surprised. I don't think this is an issue for most people.

However, googling reveals that there are quite a few people having problems with starting-up FTM on a number of platforms.

Well, anyway, I have tried everything, including the following sequence :

1. uninstall FTM , making sure that all files and the dir is deleted
2. reboot
3. go to msdn subscriber downloads
4. click on download link
5. on receiving information prompt, click gold bar
6. click on download link
7. on receiving "install FTM" prompt, click "install"
8. get information prompt again ( no recourse since gold bar is no longer present )

What could be going on ?

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de> wrote in message news:6cb2911d7b368cc1cd112fc3d23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello John A Grandy" johnagrandy-at-gmail-dot-com,

I tried to reproduce your problem and could follow up to the first popup and instruction to allow the pop-up. After that it works fine for me to download from 2008 R2 with FTM.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

This is a new box on which I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 from the
DVD.

Next, I went to MSDN Subscriber Downloads, and attempted to download
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition DVD.

I got the information prompt ( see message text below ) to click the
gold bar to install the ActiveX. I did so and re-attempted the
download.

Next, I got a pop-up box asking if I want to install Microsoft File
Transfer Manager ( Built 5.0.0.32 )

I clicked "Install" and I once again I got the original message :

--------- VBScript: Microsoft File Transfer Manager

There was an error launching File Transfer Manager.

If you are running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Server
2003 with Service Pack 1, this installation may have been blocked. If
the gold IE Information Bar is present above, please click the bar and
select the option to 'Install ActiveX'.

For additional assistance, please visit the web site
https://transfers.ds.microsoft.com, or contact your help provider.
---------

Next, I downloaded File Transfer Manager 5.0.0.32 separately (
FTMSetup.msi ) and
successfully installed it.
But when I attempt MSDN downloads, the same sequence as above
re-occurs :

(a) information prompt
(b) click gold bar
(c) popup box prompting to install FTM
(d) click install
(e) get information prompt again
It is impossible for me to download anything from MSDN Subscriptions
Downloads.

Any help, advice, ideas, or insight most appreciated. This is very
frustrating.

.