Re: Logon Script Question

Forgot to mention that this is a mixed environment meaning XP/2000/98SE...

The 98 machines seem to be the hangup on most of what I need to do (GPO,
etc)... Years ago I heard of something called Kikstart (kixtart?). Does it
work better and could it function in this mixed environment? I'll look
offline for info...

Obviously I'd like to dump the 98 machines, and there aren't many left on
their net but I have to live with them for now... :-(

Thanks for your response and help. Any good ideas for this environment?

On an aside, I'd would have hoped that Microsoft would have addressed logon
script robustness by now...

Robert...

"Laura E. Hunter [MVP]" wrote:

The best way to do the first thing you're after is using "memberof" from
joeware.net:

http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/memberof.htm

If you're running Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, you can use Access-Based
Enumeration (ABE) to accomplish the 2nd, though it only "hides" folders that
way when you're accessing information via a share - if you access an
ABE-enabled directory locally, you'll still see everything.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04A563D9-78D9-4342-A485-B030AC442084&displaylang=en

HTH

Laura E. Hunter: MVP Windows Server - Networking
All replies to newsgroup, please
Post provided as-is, no warranties expressed or implied

"drkc" <drkc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm used to Novell Netware and doing login scripts there is of the form
of:

if member of {group} then
do something
end

Is there an analogous method in Windows that allows for the same function?

Also, another Netware bit that I can't seem to get to work in Windows is
that I could map a directory at logon that had many subdirectories in it.
What the user saw after logon were only those directories that they were
given specific rights to. Like a directory might have payroll info and a
generic company division directory and the generic division users would
only
see the division directory, but the payroll group members would see that
directory AND the payroll directory. The way Windows seems to work is that
you see *ALL* directories, whether you have security access to them or
not.
Is there a way to do the same in Windows? It's needed because the shared
directory has a lot of sub directories and assigning drive letters to each
directory would exhaust the alphabet...

Thanks for any assistance... I've bought a few books, but they haven't
been
much help on the logon script issues...

.