Re: Firewall Advice - 2003 Server

From: Fieldguy (noemail_at_here.ca)
Date: 10/04/04

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:37:57 GMT

Computer Associates? No thanks. I trust Microsoft out-of-the-box more than
CA.

"Dirk-Thomas Brown" <youhadtoask@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You could try this. Its a 12 month free AV subscription and includes a
> firewall with icon and popups for you to see plus control!
>
> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
>
> Dirk-Thomas
>
> "Fieldguy" <noemail@here.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > "Miha Pihler" <mihap-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
> >> Hi,

> >> Zone
> >> Programs.
> > my
> >> download
> > No
> >>
> >> No, Microsoft does not provide any special GUI features with its
built-in
> >> firewall. Once you enable ICF under Network configuration you don't
have
> > any
> >> special monitors.
> >> What you can do is enable firewall logging and later you can monitor
> >> firewall log for e.g. dropped connections. That is about it.
> >>
> >> If you feel the need for icons in your status bar, you will have to go
> > with
> >> Norton or some other 3rd party product.
> >>

> > What I want is comfort in my systems security. Am I supposed to blindly
> > accept that my Microsoft Server is secure? Why don't you recommend
> > surfing
> > to Vicar or Shields Up!?
> >
> >> Note, that I can write a very nice icon that will blink and flash all
the
> >> time in your status bar, but will not provide any security (it is not
> > flashy
> >> icons that provide security!)...
> >
> > What gave you the impression I wanted flashy icons?
> >

> >> Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AVG9(f) out, MSE in.
    ... It's very difficult for me to trust Microsoft. ... Security patches still ... Sunbelt Personal Firewall), but had to give it up when I moved to XP. ... Currently using Windows Firewall but don't trust it not to let anything ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Kerio in WinXP
    ... > My initial feeling about XP's built-in firewall is that it would ... I think a 3rd party firewall is inherently more trustworthy than ... If you don't trust Microsoft, you shouldn't install their operating system. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)