Re: Server 2003 and Mac OS X

From: NiGHTS (nights62_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: 7 May 2004 16:24:36 -0700

The issue is that a Domain Controllers running windows 2003 server has
the security setting titled Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign
Communications is set to always by default on windows 2003 domain
controllers. When this setting is set to always digitally sign
communications you will not be able to access SMB shares from a mac.
To disable that setting you need to fire up your active directory
users and computers, then right click on domain controllers then click
on the group policy tab, and then double click your domain controller
group policy. From there you need to click windows settings, then
security settings then local policies, then security options you will
find this setting in this list. Set it to disabled, which is less
secure but without making this change you can not connect to SMB
shares from a mac on a windows 2003 domain controller.

Hope that helps.

Carey

"Roman B" <romanb@seanet.com> wrote in message news:<emgZjDhMEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> I have a small LAN with 2003 server as the domain server and file server. I
> recently installed a G5 Mac on the network, but I cannot access the file
> server. I get a "login incorrect" error, even though the login is correct.
> This works fine from other Windows machines. Interestingly Remote Desktop
> works fine on the MAC, even though security-wise this is more dangerous.
> It is hard make sense of all the security settings - I set all the basic
> ones that are needed to access the server and it works for Windows but not
> for the MAC.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Roman Budzianowski

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Group Policy broke my DCs
    ... to be very careful with tweaking services on domain controllers. ... Group Policy - security policy at the OU level which makes it much easier to ... complied from the Windows 2003 Server Security guide for baseline core ... Server - automatic ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Group Policy broke my DCs
    ... > need to be very careful with tweaking services on domain controllers. ... > Group Policy - security policy at the OU level which makes it much easier ... > is complied from the Windows 2003 Server Security guide for baseline core ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Installing Windows 2003 DC in a Windows 2000 Evironment-- Need Hel
    ... How to Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2003 ... Initial synchronization requirements for Windows 2000 Server and Windows ... ensure that you have designed a DNS and Active ...
  • Re: Server 2003 and Mac OS X
    ... The issue is that a Domain Controllers running windows 2003 server has ... > It is hard make sense of all the security settings - I set all the basic ...
  • Re: No "Security" tab for files
    ... In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck ... > I'm used to using Windows NT Server, then Windows 2000 Server, then ... I see that the Security tab is stripped out. ... > I can have access to the security settings for the files, ...