Re: grep, which, and tail commands?

"Jon Miller" <Jon Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:255D3644-0A21-4925-B9ED-D909E28945BE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm just starting to play around with PowerShell. It seems pretty cool.
There are a few things that I'm wondering though. Namely, I'm wondering if
there are equivalents for UNIX commands grep, which, and tail. With regard
grep, I'm wondering if there are plans for an updated version of
FINDSTR.EXE
that is possibly more robust. I've also found the UNIX which command very
valuable. It tells you where in your path an executable file is found. And
also, tail with the -f flag is very valuable for viewing log files and
having
their output displayed as new output is written to them. I've created my
own
.NET implementations (in C#) of the later two commands, but, I was
thinking
it would be nice since there seems to be interest in finally getting a
decent
shell going for Windows that these other commands be bundled with the OS
and/or the shell.

A Google found these links:

GNU utilities for Win32
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

UNIX Commands on Windows
http://www.dot.co.pima.az.us/gis/arcnt/unix.htm

Unix commands in windows 1.0.0
http://www.highend3d.com/downloads/tools/os_utils/76.html

  • Re: grep, which, and tail commands?
    ... there are equivalents for UNIX commands grep, which, and tail. ... tail with the -f flag is very valuable for viewing log files and ... UNIX Commands on Windows ...
  • Re: Cygwin like Module in perl
    ... I want to execute some of the unix commands on windows, ... using Cygwin to run unix commands on Windows. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Cygwin like Module in perl
    ... I want to execute some of the unix commands on windows, ... Now I need to convert all the shell scripts into perl scritp. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: rmdir and chmod help for Windows XP Home!
    ... chmod and rmdir are UNIX commands which have no effect in a Windows ... > in a test script and everything went OK... ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: getting rid of filenames with whitespaces
    ... >i'm using a Linux system running Samba as a filestore for a Windows client. ... >problem, but since some Unix commands cannot handle such files properly, ... Linux/UNIX commands are just as ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)