Re: questions about login scripts

From: Brock Heidemann (BHeidemann_at_cox.net)
Date: 01/19/05

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:19:25 -0800

Thank you very much, I will give them a try :)

"Al Dunbar [MS-MVP]" <alan-no-drub-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Brock Heidemann" <BHeidemann@cox.net> wrote in message
>> 1.) Does the login script run as the currently logged in user or the
> system
>> account?
>
> Currently logged (logging!) in user.
>
>> 2.) I want to install or uninstall a piece of software (.msi) depending
>> on
>> the information I pull out of the users AD account during login. I have
>> everything working except the software wont install because the user
> doesn't
>> have rights to install the software. Can I force the installation of this
>> software with elevated rights during login?
>
> There are ways of doing this, ranging from the free (CPAU) and acceptably
> good(http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/cpau.htm) to non-free (RunAsPro
> 10 euros per seat) and also pretty good,
> (http://www.gold-software.com/download2346.html or
> http://www.mast-computer.com/c_9-s_7-l_de.html).
>
> Both require some care to make sure you are not inadvertently leaving a
> door
> open somewhere, but, with care, and good controls, either can be safe.
>
> /Al
>
>> I would use AD to assign this package but it doesn't have the options I
>> want.

Relevant Pages

  • CreateService as current user?
    ... account during the installation ). ... Since the CreateServicefunction takes a login and password, ... is there any way to install a service on a local machine to ... CreateService(), a command-line tool that doesn't require a password, or only ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • RE: login ID and Password Problems
    ... account used to configure the operating system. ... When the system finishes booting there is the login prompt, ... whatever password you entered during the install. ... All hell breaks loose right at the login prompt. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: linux box compromised: advice needed
    ... Here is why you need a clean install ... Always login from the console, no su, telnet, ssh,.. ... That way a keystroke logger in your user account cannot ... You can audit your system if you are using the rpm package manager with ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: linux box compromised: advice needed
    ... >>account on the system. ... > o Refomat disk drives and do a fresh install from known clean ... > Never login as root unless you have to. ... > Always login from the console, no su, telnet, ssh,.. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Setting up user and administrator?
    ... I tried to login under the ... >> real administrator account and change the user account to ... >> account to use the computer but not install anything or change ... >> something I will use the administrator account which only I ...