Re: DLL nightmares ...

From: CRIS HANNA \(SBS-MVP\) (crishannanospam_at_computingpossibilities.net)
Date: 06/29/04

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:24:50 -0500

Sarah
To give you the definitive answer regarding your DLL question. No you can
not redirect where those go.
You will notice for instance when installing Real Player, you don't even get
the option for a custom install. With Office you can do a custom install,
but the programmer's did specify where certain files (DLLs for instance) had
to in order to properly interact. This is going to be true with most
custom installs. You can specify where you want the majority of files in a
custom location, some files will still go to the location specified in
programming.

Hope that clears it up for you

--
Cris Hanna (SBS-MVP)
_____________________
"Sarah Tanembaum" <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote in message
> > Sarah,
> > Windows OS exists for more than 15 years already and this question is
> asked
> > since the first Windows day. Using System and System32 directories for
the
> > system .dll files is a standard de-facto and there is no answer as such
as
> > you want, alas. The situation has three solutions:
> > - use 3rd-party software;
> > - do not use Windows;
> > - adjust to Windows.
> >
> > BTW, I recall a stronger than 'nightmare' terminology...
> >

> Sorry if I offended you(dunno why), but all I'm asking is just a plain and
> simple technical question.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: regsvr32 error code 0x80004002
    ... configuration file. ... Regarding DLL hell, I want to talk it from another perspective. ... Per-application Configuration on Windows XP ... To have it work, you must install Application ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Static or Shared MFC DLLs?
    ... I also don't know what would be the point of only grabbing the DLL from SxS if it was the exact same version as what was manifested to; if no one screwed up, the same version numbers would indicate identical DLL's, and who cares whether the DLL is loaded from SxS or from the app-local directory, it is the identical DLL? ... But you don't need to install something in Add/Remove Programs called "Visual C++ Runtime Files" that they will naively click on to uninstall thinking it was put there by their latest adware shareware program. ... Just think what a great experience Windows would be if it could install/uninstall/update as seemlessly as FireFox does, and its silky smooth process of updating plug-ins. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: hlpl?
    ... Regarding the bit of installing SP2 on an infected computer, ... programs with no success, I felt that if the install didn't go well, then I ... Let's start with how to remove the DLL file -> easily. ... in Norton mode/Safe Mode because it is most likely injected into Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: dialog box from setup.dll
    ... I am VERY new to windows C++ application development. ... non-MFC dll that contains functions that are called during the install ... dialog box from within my dll. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode
    ... When trying to install I get the message that due to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. ... It would be even better if the update software checks wether to dll in question ist registered oe even better just registers the dll each time it enters the process. ... the updating process has become extremely convoluted and illogical due to the attempts by Microsoft to make EVERYONE happy at once. ... The Windows Update Troubleshooter is woefully out of date for all Versions of Windows and TOTALLY inadequate for diagnosing updating issues in Vista. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)