Re: SBS 2008 - "Exchange E-Mail address policy cannot be configured"...

"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Ryan" <mindflux98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
In article <OPOOWJhTKHA.5164@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Ryan" <mindflux98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Answers inline.

In article <e4309JfTKHA.5164@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Ryan" <mindflux98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi.

I verified all of that and do not see any policies that would cause
that
to occur.

How can I fix it now that I'm running Exchange 2007?

Robbin Meng [MSFT] wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your post.

This issue occurs due to mailbox management policies or
duplicate/invalid
SMTP addresses in recipient policies. I would like suggest you
refer
the "J. Check Exchange 2003 policies" part of the following SBS
official
blog for detailed steps:

SBS 2008 Migrations from SBS 2003 - Keys to Success
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/02/19/sbs-2008-migrations-from
-sb
s-2003-keys-to-success.aspx
J. Check Exchange 2003 policies:
" Existing Mailbox Management policies " Duplicate SMTP addresses
in
recipient policies " Invalid SMTP addresses in recipient policies
If
any
of these are present during the migration to SBS 2008, the setup
will
finish with the following errors:
Setup errors due to mailbox management policies or
duplicate/invalid
SMTP
addresses in recipient policies:
" The Exchange E-mail address policy cannot be configured. "
Incoming
and
outgoing e-mail for Windows SharePoint Services are not
configured. "
Incoming and outgoing e-mail for Windows SharePoint Services are
not
configured. How to check for Mailbox Management policies:
If you have Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 recipient policies that
are
ONLY Mailbox Manager policies and do not define e-mail addresses
(they
do
not have an E-mail Addresses (Policy) tab), perform the following
steps
to delete the policies:
1. In Exchange System Manager, expand Recipients, and then select
Recipient Policies. 2. To verify that a policy is only a Mailbox
Manager
policy, right-click the policy, and then select Properties. The
Properties page must not have an E-Mail Addresses (Policy) tab. 3.
delete the policy, right-click the policy, and then select Delete.
Click
OK and then click Yes. If you have Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000
policies that are BOTH E-mail Addresses and Mailbox Manager
policies
(they have both the Mailbox Manager Settings (Policy) tab and the
E-mail
Addresses (Policy) tab), perform the following steps to remove the
mailbox manager portion of the policy:
1. In Exchange System Manager, expand Recipients, and then select
Recipient Policies. 2. Right-click the policy, and then select
Change
property pages. 3. Clear the Mailbox Manager Settings check box,
and
then
click OK. How to check for duplicate/invalid SMTP addresses in
recipient
policies:
1. In Exchange System Manager, expand Recipients, and then select
Recipient Policies. 2. Right-click the policy, and then select
E-Mail
Addresses (Policy) tab. 3. Inspect the SMTP Addresses for any that
are
unchecked. If you find any, place a check in the box or remove
that
address. 4. Inspect the SMTP Addresses for any that have an IP
address.
For instance, @192.168.1.1. If you find any, remove those
addresses
that
contain an IP address. 5. Click OK. More related information:

Catalog of Windows Small Business Server 2008 Installation Error
Messages
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc546065(WS.10).aspx
Windows
Small Business Server 2008 Migration Help
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95E4863E-BB59-4
A66
-9FEE-9874E8903888&displaylang=en
Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup
on
Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.
asp
Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on
Connect
website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.
asp
If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access
these
newsgroups, please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP
password
and
configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sb
s-2
008-newsgroups.aspx
newsreader
so
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no
rights.

Hi

Your original post indicating you could not run the commands because
of
the
wrong server version is because the commands are PowerShell commands
and
can
only be run on the new SBS2008 server. Go to start, All Programs,
Exchange,
you will see Exchange Management Shell. Open that up and run the
commands.

I was running the commands from Exchange PowerShell in SBS 2008. I
was
following this document trying to correct the problem:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc626207%28WS.10%29.aspx

Basically you are getting the "Exchange E-Mail address policy cannot
be
configured" error is because not all recipient policy settings can be
migrated from Exchange 2003 to 2007 (what's on SBS 2008). Simply
stated,
something in the Exchange 2003 recipient policy is causing it, such
as
(as
was already stated by Robbin):

A Mailbox Management Policy may exist in the Recipient Policy. If so,
go
into the management policy properties and deselect it, or simply
deleted.
This type of policy is done differently in Exchange 2007 and should
be
simply recreated.

I tried to delete the "Default Policy", which is the one causing the
trouble (I think). Unfortunately I see no way to do this, I can,
however delete the policy SBS 2008 added for recipients. (I guess it's
because it's not manageable by Exchange 2007? How do I remove this now
that it's been migrated over?

An IP address in the mail address suffix (@192.168.x.x, etc). This
has to
be
deleted.

Any unchecked domain suffixes in the Exchange 2003 Recipient Policy.
They
have to be either checked, or deleted.

I didn't see any unchecked domain suffixes. I tried to follow the
directions I've found (and that Robbin posted) to rectify this but I
seemingly am missing something.

If a custom attribute was created for the policy as a filter (to
search
AD
for those user accounts, such as a custom "Social Security #"
attribute
that
was added, the easiest thing to do is remove the filter, and recreate
it
on
the Exchange 2007 side. If you do not want to remove the filter for
the
custom attribute, you can force it to be used, such as wtih the
following
command (run in PoweShell):
Set-EmailAddressPolicy -Identity
'EX2K7.COM' -ForceUpgrade -IncludedRecipients
AllRecipients -ConditionalCustomAttribute9 'TEST'

Although I hate forcing things in such a scenario, I would rather
recreate
it on the new side.

I hope that helps.

Could this -ForceUpgrade work for forcing the "Default Policy" to be
upgraded so that I can actually delete it since it is erroneous? (or a
duplicate, assuming the newly made policy is all I need).

Lastly, once I fix the problem (if it's fixable) how do I clear the
errors from SBS Console. I see I can dismiss them, but they just 'go
gray', they don't "Go away".

Thanks for your guidance.

Ok, you didn't indicate as such, so I'm assuming there are no mailbox
management policy. Good, at least that's not the cause.

Also not indicated, if you have any search filter criteria on the
Exchange
2003 policy. Good.

I asume you only have one policy.

And no, IIRC, you cannot delete the default policy in Exchange 2003.

I also assume the Exchange 2003 installation no longer is on the
network.

So you've ran the following command based on the link you've posted,
which
you are saying this command didn't want to run on Exchange 2007 in the
PowerShell console (not the CMD prompt):
Set-EmailAddressPolicy "Default Policy" -IncludedRecipients
AllRecipients

If this is the case, now from what I'm thinking, something else is amiss
with the policy that I would probably be able to pick out if I were to
look
at it, but that not being the case, the only thing left would be to use
the
forceupgrade command. I have not yet used that command not needing it in
the
migrations that I've done, but there's always a first. It should force
whatever is holding it back to upgrade it. Worse comes to worse, you can
simply create a new policy, which I don't see the harm, unless you are
trying to preserve something in the original recipient policy.

Ace

I get the same result with -ForceUpgrade

[PS] C:\Windows\System32>Set-EmailAddressPolicy "Default Policy"
-IncludedRecipents AllRecipients

Set-EmailAddressPolicy : The recipient policy "Default Policy" with
mailbox manager settings cannot be managed by the current version of
Exchange Management Console. Please use a management console with the
same version as the object.
At line:1 char:23
+ Set-EmailAddressPolicy <<<< "Default Policy" -IncludedRecipients
AllRecipients

Here's your culprit:
"> Set-EmailAddressPolicy : The recipient policy "Default Policy" with
mailbox manager settings cannot be managed "\

There's a mailbox manager settings configured in it. That's why it's
happening. If the Exchange 2003 box is still active, and you haven't
formerly removed it's reference in Ex 2007, I suggest to go back to what
Robbin's and I mentioned about absolutely deleting the Mailbox Manager
settings using the Ex2003 ESM. If you can't put the other one back up
online, I would simply delete it and start over.

You can also try to delete it using ADSI Edit, but honestly, I do not want
to go there with this, because it gets complicated and will generate
numerous questions. I would forget about the Ex2003 and delete it out of
the 2007 EMC.

Ace

Ryan, just to add, tomake it easier on yourself, you can also install just
the Exchange 2003 Management Tools on an XP workstation in order to manage
Exchange to get to the old Recipient policy so you can delete the mailbox
management policy. The XP box will need SMTP and NNTP installed prior to
installing the Exchange 2003 Management tools.

Ace

  • Re: SBS 2008 - "Exchange E-Mail address policy cannot be configured"...
    ... I verified all of that and do not see any policies that would cause ... Check Exchange 2003 policies" part of the following SBS ... " The Exchange E-mail address policy cannot be configured. ... ONLY Mailbox Manager policies and do not define e-mail addresses ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS 2008 - "Exchange E-Mail address policy cannot be configured"...
    ... I verified all of that and do not see any policies that would cause ... SMTP addresses in recipient policies. ... Check Exchange 2003 policies" part of the following SBS ... " The Exchange E-mail address policy cannot be configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS 2008 - "Exchange E-Mail address policy cannot be configured"...
    ... How can I fix it now that I'm running Exchange 2007? ... This issue occurs due to mailbox management policies or duplicate/invalid ... recipient policies " Invalid SMTP addresses in recipient policies If any ... " The Exchange E-mail address policy cannot be configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Exchange 2007 E-Mail Address Policy Question
    ... When you move mailboxes to 2007 policies are reapplied; ... was only one recipient policy on the 2003 side? ... We are currently running a mixed Exchange 2003/Exchange 2007 environment, ... the 03 environment to an 07 mailbox server, ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Log files on site server (c:smslogs)
    ... Advanced Client log Files ... CertificateMaintenance - Retrieving certificates for management point ... DataTransferService - Download of policies from management point ... PolicyAgent - Retrieves policy assignments and policies from management ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.misc)