Re: Blackberry.....Body not supported by remote host......

Hi Ace, thanks for a comprehensive reply.

I too think its something to be with 8bit.

Mac / THunderbird is from a home setup... Ill checkout thunderbird settings.

thanks again.

"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Teneo" <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Have a client that has a blackberry... only one so implemented a contact
in SBS 2003 for blackberry email account and any emails to user inbox
gets forwarded to blackberry. In the UK and uk client on Vodafone

Works fine... except for one person emailing from France.

Email comes into SBS, goes to user inbox and looking at message tracking
goes off to blackberry however a few seconds later we get..

The message contains a content type that is not supported.
Companydomain #5.6.1 smtp:554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by remote
host

Checking the headers the end user in france is using a MAC and
thunderbird 2.0.0.22

Client is the MD of the company and the sender of email is high client.
Need to get my facts right to advise my client to tell his client to dump
MAC... only kidding...lol.

Cant believe french user hasn't had this issue elsewhere, claims no issue
elsewhere but cant confirm sends to another blackberry. Cant ask third
party to do all these test.

Any ideas how to solve, same error message if French user emails direct
to blackberry device.

TIA

Mime handles content type. I believe what may be happening is in the
Thunderbird client, the doctor or possibly his IT staff, should look into
how are messages being sent by his client software. I'm not familiar with
how Thunderbird works, or it's available options, but there must be a
setting to change international Mime handling.

For instance, I know in Outlook you can change options on how it's being
handled, such as - Options > Mail format > International Options > Check
the box for "Auto select encoding for Outgoing message." My feeling is
there is a similar setting in the doctor's Thunderbird client that is
sending 8bit Mime, or his mail server is sending 8bit Mime, which is not
good.

It can more than likely be THEIR mail server causing the problem. You can
telnet on 25 using EHLO command into their mail server to see if their
SMTP header indicates they are transmitting 8bit Mime. Read the following
thread and responses by Ed Crowley to see what I mean:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=33010148&threadid=33010148

Otherwise, you can disable 8bit Mime handling on your end on the SBS, but
I wouldn't suggest nor recommend to do that, because it is a broad sword
maneuver to overcome an issue that one person's client settings or another
email server can be simply changed to send out mail properly instead of
changing YOUR operating system to accomodate someone else's
misconfigurations. So it's more like the needs of one outweigh the needs
of the many, and may cause problems with the many, if you know what I
mean.

If you want to disable it on your end, which I do not suggest, read the
following.
How to turn off 8BIT MIME in Windows 2000 and in Windows Server 2003 SMTP
service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262168

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from collaboration
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your
resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer
aceman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://twitter.com/acefekay

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

  • Re: general email question
    ... as anything other than Outlook is 'not a supported' client I ... Thunderbird was my favourite client for many years and I would love to ... settings itself. ... It then fails, taking minutes to do so, and after that it's a real pain to find the "advanced" option to put in the correct settings manually. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: general email question
    ... We have an exchange server set-up here and I can't ... as anything other than Outlook is 'not a supported' client I ... Thunderbird was my favourite client for many years and I would love to ... settings itself. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: general email question
    ... depending on what mailserver she's using Thunderbird ... as anything other than Outlook is 'not a supported' client I ... Thunderbird managed to work out the correct server names and security ... settings itself. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Blackberry.....Body not supported by remote host......
    ... in SBS 2003 for blackberry email account and any emails to user inbox gets forwarded to blackberry. ... Email comes into SBS, goes to user inbox and looking at message tracking goes off to blackberry however a few seconds later we get.. ... Client is the MD of the company and the sender of email is high client. ... I'm not familiar with how Thunderbird works, or it's available options, but there must be a setting to change international Mime handling. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is there an intra-machine pseudo instant messenger?
    ... MAC OSX can be set up to do that with the native client, and Thunderbird also works on OSX. ... Hell set up a special pop server at HQ and give everyone a mail account on it. ... After all standard code exists to create daemons open sockets and pop up dialogue boxes in most application level libraries. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)