Re: SBS2008 Why is port 80 opened by default?

Ah, the old "guns are evil" reasoning... Well, it's as good a reason as any I
guess.

=)

But this is so basic and obvious, why would the default SBS2008 install open
port 80 on my router when CompanyWeb is not available over the internet? Or
is it, and I'm just not seeing how to access it?

"Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" wrote:

that's why UPnP is evil and should be turned off on Routers and routers should be manually configured :-)

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Co-Author, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed

"ComputerFields" <ComputerFields@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:BC84DA0E-9156-4313-8B3C-352E0D5D06BF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I see that port 80 needs to be open on the SBS2008 firewall for companyweb,
but why would it open that port via uPnP on my router?

Thanks.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> ComputerFields wrote:
> > I don't understand.
> >
> > All the default remote access methods RWW/OWA etc... go through other
> > ports. What is port 80 used for?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Redirects?
> Just because something is listening on the LAN doesn't mean you should
> expose it to the Internet through your firewall.

  • Re: Massive libxo-zation that breaks everything
    ... but I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind ... putting into base, over a port or package, since processing XML in base ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Changing port on web rdp client
    ... Actually I was not referring to this, but just wanted to get your reasoning ... not feel the tiny bit of added security is worth making the change. ... Port scanners will scan for whatever port ... Things I would recommend are things like denying the administrator account ...
    ... "Patrick Rouse" wrote in message ... > not feel the tiny bit of added security is worth making the change. ... Port scanners will scan for whatever port ...
  • Re: Massive libxo-zation that breaks everything
    ... but I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind ... putting into base, over a port or package, since processing XML in base ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: SBS2008 Why is port 80 opened by default?
    ... nothing else listens on port 80. ... Les Connor [SBS-MVP] ... A Microsoft Registered Partner ... > expose it to the Internet through your firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)