Re: RWW works but cannot ping Public IP address

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 05:26:18 -0500, "Frank" <ffarero@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,

SBS 2003 Std. R2 / Exchange / Static IP / DNS,DHCP from server.

A client is having a big problem with their new website hosting compnay. It
took me 2 days to get them to create the proper MX and A records. Mail
worked great for about 2 weeks now they are stating that some users can
recieve mail from external sources and some cannot.

When I tried to Ping the Public IP from a PC outside of the network I get no
reply (100 % packet loss) yet I can remote in via RWW with no problem. I
then used Telnet to test the exchange server from a remote PC outside the
network and that worked.

I double checked ipconfig on a client PC and it shows addressing info is
coming from the server not the router.

Not sure how to proceed at this point.

Domain: stetsonbaptistchurch.org

Thanks,

Frank

Most of my servers do not respond to pings. Telnet is the only way to
test email. I also use www.mxtoolbox.com to test things.

When someone says they cannot get email from a certain domain that can
be for a number of reasons. I use a RBL on my servers. If that domain
is marked as a spammer then the RBL will block that. The Exchange IMF
can block stuff. Make sure you have the IMF registry key entered that
allows for IMF updates. And last my Exchange aware antivirus could be
blocking stuff. What are the settings of the Exchange IMF?

MX records take a while to propgate. Usually after 36 hours thing will
work if the dns administrator created the records correctly. DNS
machines across the world may be set to check every X hours. I think
they are supposed to check every 6 hours but not everyone checks
according to the RFC.

Your talk of testing with telnet suggests that you have email
delivered straght to the Exchange server with no pop collection.

I ask the recipient to contact the alleged sender having problems. I
ask the sender to forward the non-delivery report to my yahoo or
Earthlink email. Rare do I get an answer from that request as often
someone missaddressed an email to the troubled domain.

Here is my checklist for Exchange servers.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bgb/archive/2008/02/23/exchange-connection-filter-using-a-real-time-block-list-and-imfperfmon-msc.aspx
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
.