Re: Security groups being removed

I'm aware of the security implications, but I'd prefer just to turn off this
"feature." How can I do this?

--

GaryK

"Miles Li [MSFT]" <v-mileli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that:

You have 5 users that are removed from the BESAdmin group unexpectedly.

If I have misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.

From the description, I think that this issue is related to the it should
be the expected behavior because of the AdminSDHolder thread on the DC
that
holds the primary domain controller (PDC) operations master role. It runs
every hour to check the access control lists (ACLs) on the following
groups
and all of the member objects of these groups:

- Enterprise Admins
- Schema Admins
- Domain Admins
- Administrators
- Domain Controllers
- Cert Publishers
- Backup Operators
- Replicator Server Operators
- Account Operators
- Print Operators

This object is used to control the permissions of user accounts that are
members of the built-in Administrators or Domain Administrators groups. If
a user account is a member of one of these administrative groups because
of
its membership with a distribution group, the user account's ACL is
checked
when the thread is run and may be reset to match the ACL of the
AdminSDHolder thread. This is by design and helps to protect these
administrative accounts from being modified by unauthorized users if the
accounts are moved to a container in which a user has been delegated
administrative privilege for the modification of user accounts.

For this issue, you can choose a method according to your environment to
correct the problem:

1. Remove these problematic 5 users from the domain admins group. In
addition, please ensure that they are not included in other protected user
groups listed above.

2. You can manually add BESAdmin permission on the AdminSDHolder object
(DN: cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=domain_name,dc=com) to prevent the ACE
of BESAdmin from being removed. However, the following operations just
explain the way it works and is NOT recommended in productive environment
for it will result in critical security issues.

1. In the command prompt, type "adsiedit.msc" and press Enter.
2. Connect to the domain name context of the Active Directory domain, open
"cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=domain_name,dc=com"
3. Right click the "cn=adminsdholder" node--->Properties--->Security tab.
4. Add a custom ACE to test how it works.

Please note: This operation will add the that ACE on all administrative
group listed above.

If the issue persists, please check whether you has configured Restricted
Group group policy or any scripts to add user group automatically.

[Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Restricted
Groups]

For more detailed information please refer to:

AdminSDHolder Thread Affects Transitive Members of Distribution Groups
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318180

Description and Update of the Active Directory AdminSDHolder Object
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232199/

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Miles Li