Re: Is everyone upto date on security updates ?

Hi Thanks for the quick post...

Interesting that you mentioned if use services... none of the servers use
IPSEC or any VPN configuration for that matter

"Matabra" <Matabra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have had an issue like this one one of my clients SBS servers. but we
support about 30 and it only occored on this one.

It seems to be a bit random as to whether it occurs or not (obvious why if
you understand how it works).

Its best to do the fix if you are using those services. Fix worked fine
for me however. You dont need to uninstall the patches thou, just change
the registry and reboot.

Regards,

Matt

"Teneo" <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Im interested if you had any issues with applied patches mentioned here
..

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2008/07/17/some-services-may-fail-to-start-or-may-not-work-properly-after-installing-ms08-037-951746-and-951748.aspx

IPSEC services are failing on all SBS and no network till do fix ( stop
ipsec, reboot, u ninstall the 2 culprits, do the registry thing and
reapply.... phew )

What has others experiances been ?

Haven't tried the fix first then applied patches as need to be onsite and
will be trying next week.

Cheers

  • Re: SBS Server keeps shutting down
    ... As Cliff suggested in his other post there is a well known issue of IPSEC ... until I get the magic combination and hope I don't have to reboot again. ... I find out which two are conflicting and fix the problem, ... Your point about a server concurrently loading multiple services is not ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS Server keeps shutting down
    ... In which the fix is announced. ... I ran it with the side off and a desk fan beating on it and it stayed up. ... Why do you think IPSec was blocking traffic? ... If IPSec was interfering with your network after reboot ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS Server keeps shutting down
    ... I rebooted it agin and IPSec allowed IPTraffic. ... until I get the magic combination and hope I don't have to reboot again. ... Your point about a server concurrently loading multiple services is not ... Did it *REALLY* just fix itself with no intervention?!? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is everyone upto date on security updates ?
    ... I think the IPSEC service is started by default anyway, so it can respond if asked to authenticate to a server using IPSEC. ... This problem should be a simpleish fix, once you work out how to fix it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS Server keeps shutting down
    ... Make sure you add the DNS reservation patch to fix your IPSec booting issue: ... than a server that is just powering off unexpectedly. ... Why do you think IPSec was blocking traffic? ... reboot fixes a lot of things...but multiple ones don't.) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)