Re: SBS 2003 NTP

"MF" <MF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4B203EA6-B94A-4374-9DFB-AF1CD67BD458@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just got an email from one of the execs today that I should set the
server
time correctly because some user PCs are not having the right time. I then
checked the server time and it was correct, so I don;t understand why some
user PCs' time are not up-to-date or incorrect.

Thanx.
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

MF <MF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello All,

Is it possible to have SBS 2003 act as the NTP server for all domain
clients on the network to help synchronize Daylight Savings Time,
etc, perhaps via Group Policy, and how is it done if possible?

Thanx.

It does this by default - this is handled by the PDC emulator role in AD.
What time sync problems are you having? In AD you don't manually set up
any
client to point at a particular NTP server. They get this info
automatically
and should be syncing automatically now.

Might be worth checking (in Event Log) that those PC are correctly logging
into the domain - *especially* if they are set to hibernate/sleep at night
and do not regularly log-off and restart.
Two other suggestions, based upon too much hair pulling:
1) There is no harm in a "GPUPDATE /FORCE" on each problematic
workstation - fixes quite a few gremlins.
2) Check that:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\NtpServer
on each of these workstations points to the sbs-box or another 'valid' NTP
time-server, and not to the non-existent: "time.windows.com". Ideally you
only want the sbs-box updating time externally and then everything else
sync'ing the time from the sbs-box.

HTH
David

  • isa 407 problem
    ... i have an app that resides on several user pcs and is communicating with the ... the server is sbs03 r2 with ISA 2004 ... i have removed and reinstalled the ISA client to make sure its working fine ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RPC over HTTPS and LAN clients
    ... What is the server name they are prompted password for? ... Exchange? ... Does netdiag return any errors from user PCs? ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • cannot see server
    ... I have 3 user PCs and 1 server. ... and 2 of the user computers run WinXP and 1 runs WinME. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS
    ... Another reason I think a local server would be ... With the Meinberg NTP server in the path now, ... It sounds as if the best arrangement would be to have one PC as a stratum-1 NTP server, and get your Faros PC syncing to it. ... Poll times in the ntpq -p display are in seconds, ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Clock accuracy
    ... Otherwise the time is simply kept by your BIOS clock and will drift ... Windows comes with a time sync service to get time for a NTP server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)