Re: Firewall and ISA

In article <F5B19C59-9099-43F1-B8A4-0BF7AB8CA330@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
ItanBarmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
Can you elaborate on the problem with the low end firewall. Basically it
blocks the ports i am telling him to block. What else whould i want him to do?

Maybe I can intrude here:

1) Linksys uses NAT to protect you, claiming it's a firewall, but NAT is
a ROUTING method, not a firewall function.

2) Firewalls protect by doing a lot of things (at least todays firewalls
offer a lot) - they filter content out of HTTP and SMTP sessions, they
detect attacks and block the intruders IP, they provide detailed logs,
they act as VPN Tunnel endpoints for branch offices and mobile users...

Your Linksys won't handle the traffic of a fast DSL (or slow cable)
connection without problems - I've seen a small sorority with 30
residents swamp Linksys routers causing them to reboot or fail until
power cycled - a better unit, like the FVS-318 and the DFL-700 handled
the traffic without a problem.

If you value your data you want a real firewall, not some router
claiming (falsely) to be a firewall.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  • Re: Firewall and ISA
    ... Maybe I can intrude here: ... Linksys uses NAT to protect you, claiming it's a firewall, but NAT is ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: OE Outbox fails after SP2 wireless cable
    ... And, in short order, 'windows update' downloaded and installed SP2. ... with the Linksys gateway, and I also checked a box on a list somewhere to ... I'm only using the Linksys hardware firewall, ... the existing installation? ...
  • Re: Linksys router as Firewall
    ... >> The BEFSR41 router does that. ... >The Linksys does not isolate internal from external, ... >(unless you do MAC filtering or port filtering). ... >> Virus scanning and spam filtering is not a function of a firewall. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zyxel router for Inspiron 1505?
    ... supercede the default firewall settings. ... names and include technical support (the others ... Someone suggested a Zyxel Extreme-MIMO X550 router. ... Linksys or D-Link. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Kluge oder doofe Idee: Zweistufige Firewall mit VPN
    ... Also kommt der Linksys in 'ne DMZ und die Firewall kümmert sich ums DSL, nur mal für den Moment angenommen. ... vom Rest getrennt behandeln und Filtern, und verhindern, dass Pakete ... IP Adresse. ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)