RE: Vista unable to logon with RDP in Remote Web Workplace

Hi,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

From your description, I know that when Vista clients visits RWW and
connect to SBS Server's desktop, the logon screen stops. If I misunderstand
your concern, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Please let me know the following to make the situation more clearly:

1. Do all Vista workstation have such issue?
2. Do you have Windows 2003 SP2 installed?
3. Can you see any error messages when connecting to server desktop? If so,
what's the exact error message?

Based on my research, please take the following steps to narrow down this
issue:

Step 1: Logon a Windows XP computer, visit RWW, can you connect the SBS
server desktop successfully?

Step 2: If you have hardware Router installed, please ensure port 3389 4125
are open.

You can also check port 3389 with telnet tool:

telnet Server.Domain.com 3389

Can you see any errors?

Step 3: When trying to connect to a terminal server from Windows Vista, the
RDP client may not connect, or connect and display a blank background. This
occurs when TCP autotuning is enabled. In Windows Vista and Longhorn, TCP
autotuning is enabled by default.

To fix this:

On the Vista Client Disable TCP autotuning with the following netsh command:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Step 4: Please rerun the CEICW, this helps us to configure network and IIS
setting correctly:

1. Click Start, click Server Management. Click To Do List and then click
"Connect to the Internet". Click Next, and go through the Internet option.
2. Select Enable firewall and click Next.
3. On the Web Services Configuration page shows, make sure Remote Work
Webplace is selected. Click Next.

Note: You can select other items according to your needs, for example:
Outlook Web Access, Business Website (wwwroot) and so on.

4. On the Web Server Certificate page shows. Select "Create a new Web
server certificate", and type your FQDN (mail.domain.com) in the "Web
server name" text box. Click Next.

IMPORTANT: The FQDN that you type in the "Web server name" box must be the
same name that you use to connect to the Web site from the Internet. For
example, if the URL that you use to connect to the RWW is
https://server.contoso.com/remote, type "server.contoso.com" (without the
quotation marks) in the "Web server name" box. If you use
http://ipaddress/remote to access RWW, type the public IP address in the
"Web server name".

5. Go through the steps to finish the wizard.

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

I agree with you on Group Policy for Vista. When joined to the Windows SBS
domain, the following GPOs apply to Windows Vista:

o A new GPO, Small Business Server - Windows Vista policy, has been added.
This GPO addresses the Windows Vista Firewall settings, by enabling the
security center and adjusting power management settings to support Remote
Desktop.

If the computer is joined to the domain, the Windows Vista Firewall policy
settings for the domain profile are enabled for the following rule sets:

o File and Print Sharing
o Remote Desktop
o Remote Assistance
o Core Networking

Also, in the SBS Client Computer GPO, only the policy settings that are
related to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) apply to Windows Vista. This
is disable on client side. To get more information about Group Policy, we
need to collect MPS Report.

If the problem persist, please kindly help me collect the following
information for further research:

MPS-Report on problematic vista client:

1) Download MPSreport_network from

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE
2) Run MPSRPT_NETWORK.exe on the server box.
3) The tool will automatically collect the information. This procedure will
take 10~15 minutes.
4) Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder:
%SystemRoot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab\
5) Send the .cab file directly to v-robeli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with subject:
39993678-Vista unable to logon with RDP in Remote Web Workplace.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)