RE: More Qs about SBS, Exchange, Outlook, & POP3 (Lanwench?)

Hello Ari,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that you want to make every
user can easy connect to their multiple mail accounts when they move from
one computer to another. If I have misunderstood the problem, please don't
hesitate to let me know.

1. Make sure you have installed SBS SP1.

Please go through the following document to install SBS 2003 sp1:

Downloading and Installing Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/0/f/e0fee8ce-768d-41c0-8871-9bc48e0
b3fc3/ToDownLoadFilesandReadInstructions.htm

The SBS 2003 sp1 for standard edition including the following components:

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Service Pack 1
Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Windows XP SP2 for Client Deployment
Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1

Then install windows server 2003 sp2

2. After that, make sure he used setup computer wizard to create computer
account, and assigned outlook profile to new computer.

3. Then use connectcomputer to join new computers to domain. Please run the
connectcomputer via access http://SBSname/connectcomputer/

4. If you shall configure multiple POP3 accounts for users, question "2" is
an expected behavior.

5. After configuring POP3 connector, he can only use Exchange mailbox to
send e-mails, not POP3 ones.

Use POP3 Connector Manager
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/support/8f81c4eb-65a5-
431b-a9e2-d29c8d3b346d.mspx?mfr=true

For personal, I think the roaming profile is a workaround for you.

The roaming profile will make the roam user has same desktop, my documents
and Outlook account when they move around internal computers. The user's
profile is store in the SBS, Wherever the user logon the domain, the
profile will download from SBS, the user will feel like work on the same
computer. The user does not need to configure the Outlook about Exchange
account and POP3 account again when they logon another computer.

Step 1: Configure a User Account in the Active Directory to Use a Roaming
Profile

A profile is associated with a user account and contains information such
as customized desktop settings, network and printer connections, and mail
settings. A local user profile is stored on a local computer's hard disk,
and is created automatically the first time that someone logs on to a
computer, if that user account does not already have a roaming profile in
place. Roaming profiles are stored on a network server in a location that
is specified for a particular user account.

To configure a user account in the Active Directory to use a roaming
profile:
1. Start the Active Directory Users and Computers tool on any computer
that has access to the Active Directory.
2. Open the Properties dialog box for a user account by right-clicking the
account, and then clicking Properties.
3. Click the Profile tab.
4. Specify a path for the saved profile. (Recommend to use
\\SBSname\users\username, the build-in share folder created by Add User
Wizard)

Step 2: Switch from a Local to Roaming User Profile

When you logon to the network for the first time with a particular user
account that has roaming enabled, a roaming profile is automatically
created. If a user has already logged on to the network and has a locally
stored profile, that user must switch from a local to a roaming profile.

To switch from a local profile to a roaming user profile:
1. Click Start , and then click Control Panel .
2. If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click the System icon.

If Control Panel is in Category view, click the Performance and Maintenance
link, and then click the System icon.

3. On the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
4. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under User Profiles.
5. In the Profiles stored on this computer box, click the profile that you
want to change.
6. Click Change Type to opens the Change Profile Type dialog box.
7. Click Roaming Profile to change to a different type.
8. Click OK three times to return to Windows.

If the Roaming Profile option is not available, you are trying to configure
a local user profile. You can only configure roaming profiles for user
accounts that are located in the Active Directory, and the accounts must be
set up to allow for roaming users.

Hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

| From: SoThisIsTheInternet <SoThisIsTheInternet@xxxxxxxxx>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Subject: More Qs about SBS, Exchange, Outlook, & POP3 (Lanwench?)
| Date: 26 Apr 2007 03:43:51 -0700
|
| Hi all,
|
| I've finally got all the users off of Outlook Express and onto Outlook
| with them using their exchange mailboxes for intraoffice email.
| However, until we move to the new servers (hopefully soon!) we're
| still relying on POP3 email from our ISP. Lanwench and others have
| helped me before and I've applied most of their suggestions already
| (still a little gunshy on the POP3 connector though). We're running
| SBS 2003 Standard SP2 (not R2).
|
| The issues I'd like help resolving are:
|
| 1. When a user logs onto a computer that has Outlook 2003 installed
| they are not automatically taken to their Exchange 2003 mailbox.
| Instead, they are given a few Outlook setup steps which cannot be
| completed until they exit the setup and go to control panel -> mail
| and add their exchange account. Then they can open Outlook! Is there a
| way to prevent this happening? I want users to be able to logon to any
| computer here and be able to access their exchange email without
| having to configure email on the computer!
|
| 2. When a user jumps through the hoops above and their POP3 email is
| added everything works and the emails are stored in their exchange
| mailbox. However, if they go to another computer, jump through the
| hoops above again, they can see their pop3 emails but have to re-setup
| their POP3 account in Outlook again. Is there a way to prevent this?
|
| 3. What hazzards would I face in setting up the POP3 connector for
| these accounts? I've heard that some people are having issues with the
| MS supplied POP3 connector, but I haven't had the chance to read up on
| these yet. I was hoping that using the POP3 connector might resolve
| issue number 2 (above), but I'd still like to get that sorted (if
| possible) before going one step further and using the POP3 connector.
| On my first attempt at using it it did not retrieve emails.
|
| 4. Some users have multiple pop3 accounts (or share several accounts/
| monitor several accounts) so using the pop3 connector seems like it
| would make things easier for me maintenance wise. However, it looks as
| if I will have to make separate entries for each pop3 account for each
| user. Was I looking in the wrong place? I had hoped that I could set
| the POP3 connector to get the emails and then select different
| exchange accounts (like with tick boxes) to route those emails to.
|
| Thanks again,
|
| Ari

  • Re: More Qs about SBS, Exchange, Outlook, & POP3 (Lanwench?)
    ... and assigned outlook profile to new computer. ... After configuring POP3 connector, he can only use Exchange mailbox to ... and Outlook account when they move around internal computers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: DC Temporarily Off-line, Remaining DC Struggling
    ... > suspects this issue is related to the account and roaming profile. ... > Please make sure all user accounts are replicated to win2k3 DC. ...
  • Re: DC Temporarily Off-line, Remaining DC Struggling
    ... >> new user account after the win2k server turn off. ... >> suspects this issue is related to the account and roaming profile. ...
  • Re: 1 Notebook unable to log in
    ... NETDOM RESETPWD Resets the machine account password for the domain ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... | need to migrate their old domain profile [favorites, My Documents, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: MSN Dial Up Wiped Out Mysteriously
    ... | a corrupted profile can produce all the symptoms I mentioned. ... | to somehow create a new account, move things over from the corrupt ... | then eliminate the corrupt account. ... | dialogue box and click on "Properties" nothing comes up or happens. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)