Re: Svchost.exe taking all CPU time when PC's connected to network

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their assisatnce on this one. I got
the problems sorted and it turned out to be the windows updates causing the
problem. Once the latest updates were installed on the server all the updates
appeared on the workstations and after they were installed the problem went
away.

Regards

Tom

"Les Connor [SBS MVP]" wrote:

It's not in any way related to ISA.

If the computers are underpowered to start with (Celerons, 512 mb or less),
they'll be very seriously affected. More powerful computers are only
seriously affected ;-).

Get this fix on all computers, ASAP. It may not be a complete resolution, as
this issue is still under investigation. But it certainly helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Tom Morton" <TomMorton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Cheers for your help Lanwench.

I am experiencing this problem on multiple PC's 20 or so. It is possible
that ISA has possibly been reconfigured and is blocking the windows
updates.
If that was the case would it cause the problems you talking about, if the
windows update service was trying to connect and was being blocked could
it
cause svchost.exe to max out the CPU processor time?

Thanks again

Tom

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

Tahir @ Toronto <tahir_naseem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Run webroot scan from webroot.com at server and all workstations. You
must be infected by a virus.

This isn't the most likely culprit - see my reply.

I had a similar problem at SBS 2000 with many workstations. I was
upgrading from SBS 4.5 to 2000, one of the workstation infected my new
SBS 2000 server and in return all the workstation got infected high
cpu network completely down. I had format the whole server, reinstall
in isolation, load up Norton AV and then reintroduce into the network
and oh yeah I had NAV installing earlier and on all workstation but if
captured %$## all.
Let me know what worked ?

  • Re: Cannot get windows updates
    ... I'm glad to hear the issue's been resolved but there's no way those "infected" Restore Points were interfering with your ability to use Windows Update or Automatic Updates, ... windows updates and i could install windows defender but I was not able to ... Download and install Windows Defender... ... Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Update Error Code 800B0100 P.P.S.
    ... Administrator account that has full admin rights that could address those Windows updates that are not able to install. ... If the happens to be the built-in Administrator account, then enable it and set a password for it and login with the Administrator account. ... You need to format the HD, reinstall the O/S, practice safehex as much as possible and try not to install non Vista compliant software on the machine, which all of it could have created the condition you have at this moment, if you ever want Windows Updates to work again. ...
  • Re: "RAMNIT desktoplayer" Worm Removal Guide
    ... Windows updates or even app updates. ... Hardware updates should NEVER be accepted through Windows Updates. ... of the SATAraid BIOS are installed on the host. ... AutoPlay to present a list of handlers associated with the media type. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Update Error Code 800B0100 P.P.S.
    ... Administrator account that has full admin rights that could address those Windows updates that are not able to install. ... I did find it, but when I tried to turn it on, a choice of accounts showed Administrator, and asked for a password, which I never had or used. ... You need to format the HD, reinstall the O/S, practice safehex as much as possible and try not to install non Vista compliant software on the machine, which all of it could have created the condition you have at this moment, if you ever want Windows Updates to work again. ...
  • Re: Error code 8007000B when trying to install updates
    ... turn Windows Features on and off. ... Has MS tech support responded to this yet? ... The worrying thing is, at the same time as trying to do the Windows updates, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)