RE: Documents open as read only on Vista desktops fromo sharepoint sit

Hi Lincoln,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delay response due to the weekend.

From your description, I know that when you open Office documents in
SharePoint via IE on Windows Vista, some files are read only, some are
editable. If I am off-base, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Since the problem is a pure SharePoint issue, please open a new post in
microsoft.public.sharepoint newsgroup. Thanks for your understanding.

I'd like to give you the following suggestions:

Step 1: Please change the IE setting:

1. Open Internet Explorer and on the top tool bar go to Tools->Internet
Options.
2. Choose the connection tab at the top
3. In the Local Area Network (LAN) settings box, click the LAN Settings
button
4. In the Proxy server box click the Advanced button
5. In the Exceptions box, under Do not use proxy server for address
beginning with:

Enter your domain. Example: *.*mycompany.com

6. Click Ok
7. Click Ok
8. Click Ok
9. Close all IE windows

Try this setting as well:
Set "Allow Programmatic Clipboard Access to Disable" under IE > Tools >
Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet > Custom Level > Scripting ->
Allow Programmatic clipboard access

Step 2: By default, when you open a document from a SharePoint Portal
Server 2003 document library, the document is opened as read-only.

To open the document so that you can make changes, click the arrow next to
the file name in the document library. Then, click Edit in Microsoft Office
Word.

For more information, please refer to:

When you open a document in Word, the document opens as read-only
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909134/en-us

Hope above information help.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)