Re: WSUS Client polling interval

Hi John,

Yes, that's it exactly - the client polls the server to see if there are any
pending updates, and if so, pulls them down and the user can click the
yellow shield or wait and overnight they will be applied at the set time. I
would have thought this was a push service, rather than a client pull - I
was looking all over the server to set it to no avail. The polling interval
on the client is set via group policy, and it took me a while to find it:

Server Management>>Advanced Management>> Group
Policy>>Forest>>Domain>>Update Services Common Settings - right-click &
Edit. Then Computer Config>>Admin Templates>>Windows Components>>Windows
Update>> Automatic Updates detection frequency Properties.

Mine was set to enabled and 1, I changed it to enabled and 12, then did a
gpupdate /force and poof, no more frustrating hang time. If you set it to
Not Configured it will poll every 22 hours (?? weird number of hours??
whatever...) Hope this helps, it was driving me nuts!

SusanV

"John" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
What was set to 1hr and how did you change it? Are you talking about the
AU
client? We are experiencing the same problem. Microsoft has our company
testing AU ver3 and WSUS ver 3 in a lab enviroment. In prod we currently
have wsus turned off because clients are crippled for 45min to 1hr. We
really want to turn wsus back on but havent found a solution to the
problem.
KB927891 has been applied on all client machines, didnt help.

"SusanV" wrote:

Nevermind, I found it. It was set to 1 hour - changed it to 12.

;-D

"SusanV" <svanallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi all,

SBS 2003 R2, WSUS is deploying approved updates to clients with no
troubles, and I have the clients set to update (and reboot if required)
at
3 AM, which makes the users happy - more or less. The problem is the
wuauclt.exe process (and svchost) are running on an hourly basis, and
during the 1-3 minutes they run, they take the entire CPU, dragging the
PC
down to useless until the process finishes. Is there any way through GP
or
otherwise that I can schedule this to only poll the server during
non-business hours? It's making people rather frustrated... Oh and I
already got the KB927891 hotfix from MS, and although that has made it
bit better (doesn't run as long) it's still annoying.

TIA,

SusanV

  • Re: WSUS Client not yet reported
    ... The client still fails to report. ... Check your server status ... Suggestion 2: Check the IIS settings: ... any updates in your thread. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: FYI for eTrust AV 7.x Users
    ... When I just had my little incident with the redistribution settings on the SBS, my clients were logging successful checks for updates, and the logs indicated that no updates were found. ... That turned out to be because I had not gone back and checked the redistribution server box for 8.x after reinstalling the redistribution server. ... installed the new remote install utility which works the same as v7 did - just edited the .ICF file the way I wanted it and ran the client upgrades from the server. ... I can't remember if it's a separate install, or if you have to click a box when you do the Agent install, but redistribution server is not installed by default. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: WSUS Client not yet reported
    ... The root cause can be at either the server side or the client side. ... please check if it works with WSUS. ... any updates in your thread. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: WSUS Client not yet reported
    ... The root cause can be at either the server side or the client side. ... please check if it works with WSUS. ... any updates in your thread. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: WSUS Client not yet reported
    ... Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support ... I understand that a client workstation is always in "not ... |> The root cause can be at either the server side or the client side. ... |> any updates in your thread. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)