Re: Replacing a raid 5 controller with different card

Do NOT create a C: partition of only 10-15 GB. That's way too small over time. I wouldn't create one of less than 25 GB personally.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Ray Brunelle" <RayBrunelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:20FFF758-53DD-4AEC-8523-95DFA155C119@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That was my understnading too but here is the response I was given by someone
else
4 Drives is ok. What you need to do is..

use the RAID controller software to:
- Build a RAID 1 Volume of about 10-15GB on drive 0 and 1 (only has to fit
the operating system)
- Build a RAID 5 Volume with the remaining capacity on drive 0,1,2 and 3
with drive 3 as the spare

You will lose some drive space, but the system will be much faster than
before... at least for the part not depending on S-ATA or the RAID
controller.
I guess I will see if this is possible with my card

"Jim Behning SBS MVP" wrote:

My understanding is that a hardware array is a collection of hard
drives present to the OS at the bios level. You go in to the hardware
raid controller and you make an array based on the number of drives
and what the card will do. 2 drives might let you make one array using
Raid 1. 4 drives might let you make an array using Raid 5 with 3
drives and a hot spare, 4 drives in the Raid 5 array, or you might be
able to make two Raid 1 arrays with no hot spare. Hardware raid lets
you choose the whole hard drive to bring in to an array. You cannot
bring in part of a hard drive.

In the operating system you make partitions. Choose the size of the
partitons when setting up the OS or later if you have spare space on
one of the arrays.

If you are attempting to do software raid many wiser than me say don't
do it.

I am doing at least 20 gigs for the C: partiton, maybe even 30 gigs. A
few other partitions to hold Exchange, company files and user files.

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 10:37:10 -0800, Ray Brunelle

.