Re: "User must change password at next logon" grayed out on password f

Is this an SBS server? If so, you probably know this already, but if you apply the power users template to a user in SBS (or, if they belong to that domain security group) - they can log onto the SBS via TSweb and be presented with a 'power user' console that has the change user password functionality one click away.

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
"NickR" <NickR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:B19DBB46-0948-4B6C-9A91-5839ABE9E9E4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have run across a perplexing minor issue that may be a bug in Windows.

I have delegated the permission to "reset user passwords and force password
change at next logon" to a security group on an OU. This works fine, except
for one thing...

When a delegated user belonging to that security group right-clicks on a
username in Active Directory Users and Computers, that user is presented with
a form consisting of the new password field, confirm password field, and a
checkbox labeled "User must change password at next logon". This checkbox is
grayed out.

However, if that same delegated user opens the user properties for that
target user account, he can go to the account tab and the checkbox is enabled
there.

I have not found a way to enable the checkbox on the reset password form,
short of giving the delegated user full control of the user accounts. I know
that this is a minor issue, but my customer is pressuring me to fix this.

Thank you,
-Nick

  • RE: SBS 2003 Exchange Mailbox Permission Problem
    ... Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup. ... possibly that he has 'Power Users' template applied to ... The 'Domain Power User' is a sub-group of 'SBS Remote ... User Permissions Wizard. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Missing Group
    ... Not sure exactly what's going on David, but, by default, the Power Users ... group does not exist on an SBS 2000 domain controller. ... "local group" on workstations, stand-alone servers, and member servers. ... However, in SBS 2003, there is a group called Domain Power Users. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Give poweruser rights SBS 2008
    ... have poweruser rights for the software to correctly run. ... You could add the domain users to the power users group on their ... HKLM/Software/ProblemSoftware and do permissions there. ... Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Situation
    ... The Domain Power Users built in group may be what you are looking for. ... We want to allow a user the ability to change other users passwords ... in the office and modify group memberships for the distribution ... remotely to the sbs server but have the sbs console start up as soon ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need remote admin for Account Operator
    ... customers happy. ... One problem I have with Power Users and RD is that it doesn't give ... Administrator and allow them to set up and manage SBS User accounts. ... What is the safest way to empower an Account Operator to do what ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)