RE: Configuring NTP on PDC of SBS

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

From the description, I understand the issue to be: you want to sync the
time with external source on SBS. If I have misunderstood your concerns,
please do not hesitate to let me know.

As I know, you can follow the KB article to configure SBS as an authority
Time server:

816042 How to configure the Windows Time service on a Windows Server
2003-based
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816042

You can also try other time sources.

262680 A List of the Simple Network Time Protocol Time Servers That Are
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=262680

If it still occurs, based on my experience, I would like to suggest you try
the following suggestions:

A. Make sure the Windows Time service is enabled and started
------------------------
The Windows Time service will be disabled by CEICW when you have a PPPoE
connection which is treated as a non-stable connection. I suggest you click
Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and click OK. When the
Services snap-in opens, check to make sure the Windows Time service is
started and its startup type is set to "Automatic".

B: Make sure ISA is allowing the NTP traffic on UDP port 123 (if you have
ISA installed)
------------------------
If you have ISA server 2000 installed on the SBS 2003 server, please
perform the following steps to configure ISA:

1. In the ISA Server management tool, expand the management nodes that are
beneath your server name.

2. Expand the Access Policy branch to view the list of access policies.

3. Right-click IP Packet Filters, point to New, and then click Filter to
start the New IP Packet Filter Wizard.

4. Type a descriptive name for the filter (such as "SNTP Allow Filter"
(without the quotation marks)), and then click Next.

5. Click Allow packet transmission as the Filter Mode, and then click Next.

6. Click Custom as the filter type, and then click Next.

7. On the Filter Settings page, click UDP for the IP protocol, click "Send
receive" for the direction, "All ports" as the local port, click "Fixed
port" as the remote port, use port 123 as the remote port number, and then
click Next.

8. Keep the default settings by clicking Next through the next two wizard
pages, and then click Finish at the Completing The New IP Packet Filter
Wizard page.

9. Go to Monitoring\Services and restart the Firewall service. Check if the
issue disappears.

For more info, see:

323621 How To Configure the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) on ISA
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323621

887355 The server cannot synchronize with an external time source after you
run the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard on Windows Small
Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;887355

If it is ISA 2004, open the ISA management console, go to Firewall Policy,
right click the "SBS Local Host Access Rule" in the right panel, and select
Properties. Go to Protocols tab to make sure NTP (UDP) is added.

C. Re-configure the Windows Time service
------------------------
Open a command prompt and run the following commands to re-configure the
time service to sync time with time.nist.gov:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.nist.gov,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL

w32tm /config /update

net stop w32time

net start w32time

D. Make sure the hardware router or firewall is allowing the traffic
------------------------
Check if you have a hardware router/firewall in front of your SBS server,
if so, please open Registry Editor (regedit), go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Type
, change the value data from whatever to Nt5DS and restart the W32Time
service. Maue sure the service's startup type is till set to automatic.

Related information:

Configuring the Time Service to Log When the Time Is Changed
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307937

307897How To Synchronize the Time with the Windows Time Service in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307897

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

| From: "Ed Weatherup" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Subject: Configuring NTP on PDC of SBS
| Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:55:47 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
|
| Hi
|
| I'm trying to configure our SBS server to use an external time source
| following the instructions in Article ID 816042.
|
| Everything *seems* to be OK and I've checked and re-checked the settings
| from the above KB. but when I try ...
|
| C:\>w32tm /resync /rediscover
| Sending resync command to local computer...
| The computer did not resync because no time data was available.
|
| ... still no resynching :-(
|
| I'm no longer getting W32Time event 12 in the system event (hurrah!) but
| still ...
|
| So far I have ...
|
| 1. checked that I can ping the time servers (ntp.demon.co.uk)
|
| 2. telnet'd to ntp.demon.co.uk on TCP 123 and seen the packets get
through
| the ISA firewall
|
| 3. Issued countless w32tm /resync and *not* seen any packets going to
Demon

| 4. Followed KB 816043 (debug logging for Windows Time) and but nothing is
| being written into the log.
|
| Help will be much appreciated.
|
| --
| Ed.

  • Re: RWW Timing
    ... If you have installed ISA, ... Expand the server node and highlight ''Monitoring''. ... In the following website you can find many useful resources related to SBS ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: DHCP Issues. Very strange
    ... default order of rule in ISA 2004. ... Windows SharePoint Services intranet site, ... server certificate on Web server name column and then click Next. ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS VPN setup?
    ... The 2-nic configuration is used when the SBS server will *also* act as your network's firewall. ... You purchase 2k3 PREMIUM and that comes with ISA to handle the firewall duties. ... To compare apples to apples, let us assume there is a network setup as I outlined above...and the firewall appliance is an ISA server, such as those available from Celestix. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: ISA access rules, help
    ... please let me know whether you're using ISA 2000 or ISA 2004 ... (SBS SP0 or SBS SP1). ... the ISA server will not be used as a proxy server. ... Since SBS already used port 80, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS Advice Please
    ... Notice that the netgear router will be infront of ISA. ... Javier [SBS MVP] ... > SQL server as it is the protected patient data. ... >> always keeps a copy of the profiles (even if you are using roaming ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)