RE: SBS SP1 Install Fails

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

To clarify the problem, would you please help me collect the following
information?

On which step during the SBS 2003 SP1 installation you encounter the
problem and what is the detailed error message you receive?

1. Install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.
2. Install Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Service Pack 1.
3. Install Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1.
4. Install Windows XP SP2 for Client Deployment.
5. Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1.

Based on my knowledge, during the first 4 steps, you can logon as a normal
administrator with administrative privilege. However, when installing
Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47271), you must use the built-in
Administrator account. Please go ahead to check whether this address the
issue.

In addition, if the problem persists with the built-in Administrator
account, please collect the following logs for research:

1. For Windows Server 2003 SP1 installation failure: C:\Windows\svcpack.log.
2. For SharePoint Services SP1 installation:
%temp%\Ohotfix\OHotfix(0000x).log and OHotfix(0000x)_Msi.log.
3. For Exchange Server 2003 SP1 installation failure: C:\Exchange Server
Setup Progress.log.
4. For Windows XP SP2 for Client Deployment failure:
C:\Windows\KB891193.log.
5. For Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1 failure:

1) C:\Windows\KB885918.log.
2) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server
2003\Logs.

Also regarding SBS SP1 installation, before we install the SBS 2003 SP1
onto the server, we need to make sure that the required components such as
Windows server 2003 SP1, Exchange 2003 SP1, WSS SP1 have been installed.
Please refer to the release note and double check the install procedure:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=022677CC-F5AC-4BFB-
9AD0-454E89CB98BB&displaylang=en

You may need to closely follow the document to install SBS SP1:

For SBS 2003 Premium:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/e/9/2e902d14-da2e-43ba-8bd6-6d258f5
356b6/SP1Setup_prem.htm

Getting Started: Windows Small Business Server 2003 with SP1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/a/3/9a306a75-e7da-461f-996d-7b93e09
948ee/GettingStarted_Combined.doc

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if you need
further assistance.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

| From: =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIE1vcnJpcw==?= <tomm+@+onbcom+com>
| Subject: SBS SP1 Install Fails
| Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:06:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
|
| Several times I have tried to install SBS SP1 without success. A windows
| informs the installation failed and refers to the setup log. Required
| updates/service packs already installed. I am attaching the setup log
below.

| Thanks for any help.
|
| Tom Morris
|

| [Setup run at 16:13:37 on 12/27/03]
| Component Name: Microsoft Exchange
| Version: 6.5
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation
| Version: NA
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Microsoft Exchange Domain Preparation
| Version: NA
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services
| Version: 6.5
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Microsoft Exchange System Management Tools
| Version: 6.5
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Fax Services
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Server Tools
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Administration
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Monitoring
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Networking
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Intranet
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Failure
| Error Message: An error occurred while installing Windows SharePoint
| Services and creating your intranet site.
|
| Component Name: Client Deployment
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Internet Explorer 6.0
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
| Version: 5.2
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA
|
| Component Name: Server Configuration
| Version: NA
| Installation Status: Success
| Error Message: NA

> [...]

  • Re: after installing KB011829 OWA is not working anymore
    ... Windows Vista or IE 7.0 no longer includes support for the ActiveX control ... The resolution for this issue is to install hotfix KB 911829. ... and to the back-end server. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
  • RE: Windows Server Update Services 2.0 Error
    ... I examined the configuration for the WSUS site and the scenario number 2 ... On the WSUS Server check the permissions on the following Directory: ... Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Fax on Terminal Server from SBS2K3
    ... > activity logging in the shared fax in the server box. ... Event Source: Microsoft Fax ... For Microsoft newsgroup user, please do not hesitate to contact ... Follow the wizard to install ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: New Event Log Errors!
    ... Somehow along those lines I'd also installed the Certificate Authority ... Did you apply the last Server Pack for SBS Server? ... Please install Windows Support Tools on the win2k3 sp1 problematic ... Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS SP 1 installation error
    ... Component Name: Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation ... Component Name: Server Configuration ... Component Name: Windows Server 2003 Configuration ... Component Name: Networking Configuration ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)