Re: experience with Virtual Server 2005 R2 on a SBS 2003

What OS's do you want to run in the virtual environment, and for what
purpose?

The VS application itself isn't the issue, the issue is that any resources
required by the guest OS's will negatively impact the host system
performance.

I have 2 production SBS networks that make use of vitualization; in both
cases w2k3 server terminal servers in application sharing mode. The TS MVs
are installed on the SBS. They are configured similarily:

a) dual processor boxes, one processor reserved for the host.
b) 2gb ram reserved for the host, 1gb ram for the VM
c) dedicated disks (raid 1) for the virtual machine.
d) there are no more than 5 TS sessions in either case

With the above conditions, the user experience is very good.

--
Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]
SBS Rocks !

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
You'll probably want more memory, but that will depend in part on what
you're actually using for Virtual Machines. The one thing I've found is
that if you want a virtual machine to have good performance, you need to
give it more RAM than you would give a physical machine for the same
amount of performance.

Also, keep in mind that Virtual Server memory is non-swappable, so
whatever memory you assign to a virtual machine will not be available to
any other function when the VM is running.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Johlin wrote:
Hi!
I would like to install a Virtual Server 2005 R2 on a SBS 2003 (Domain
Controller; 2.8 GHz, 1 GB Ram, about 10 clients).
Did anybody have a problem with running a Virtual Server 2005 on the
just mentioned system?
Which problem could occur?

Do I need more memory?

Regards,