RE: Remove Folder Redirection

Hello John,

Thank you for posting to the SBS Newsgroup.

I understand that you reverse the File Redirection Group Policy. If I have
misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

Please take your time to read through my reply and then perform the steps:

=========

If there are a large number of clients that need to restore their "My
Documents" folders back to their local user profile location, we can choose
the second option "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile
location when policy is removed".

We may use the following steps:

1. Create a new GPO.

2. Configure the "Folder Redirection" policy to redirect the "My Documents"
folders to the same network share as the the previous GPO.

3. On the "My Documents Properties" window, click the Settings tab.

4. Select the "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location
when policy is removed" option box, and click OK.

5. On the client, please refresh the group policy settings by logging of
and logging on the system again.

6. On the domain controller, delete the GPO created and configured in Step
1~Step 4.

7. Log off and log on the client system to see if the problem has been
solved.

=========

If the amount of clients is not large, we can manually copy My Document
folder back to client workstation:

1. On the client workstation, take the workstation offline. Copy the
content from My Document to folder on local drive (Recommended:
C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\My Documents). Since the computer is
offline, it will copy the content from offline cache and it will not occupy
the network resource.

2. On the SBS server, open Server management and navigate to Group Policy
Management Console.

3. Right click the Group Policy Object which you enabled Folder Redirection
and click Edit.

4. Navigate to User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection\My
Documents. Right click My Document and click Properties.

5. In the Settings tab, Click to select "Leave the folder in the new
Location when policy is removed". Click Apply.

6. In the Target tab, Click Combo box next to "Setting:" and select "Not
configured". Click OK.

7. Log on the Client workstation in to the domain.

8. Right click My Documents and click properties

9. Click Move button.

10. Choose the local folder that you copy the content in the Step #1. Click
Apply.

11. You will be prompted with dialog "Would you like to move all of the
document?". Please click NO.

12. Click OK

Hope it helps! if you have any updates, please feel free to let me know. I
am looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee