Re: Terminal Server with SBS 2K3

HI,

Thanks for your updates.

If I understand properly, when a normal user logs on the terminal server
tries to install a printer he/she receives the error message saying that
"You do not have sufficient access to your machine to connect to the
selected printer". You have followed the steps in KB259937 to disable the
"Prevent users from adding printers" group policy in the default domain
policy and the local policy of the terminal server.

Before we go any further, I would like to confirm whether you have checked
the default domain controller policy to ensure that the "Prevent users from
adding printers" group policy was enabled. If not, I suggest that you check
it as the default domain policy and local policy are overridden by the
default domain controller policy. If this policy is defined in the default
domain controller policy, users will be prevented from adding printers.

Based on my research, this problem may also occur when normal users do not
have enough permission to install and uninstall printer drivers. When a
user connects to a printer on a print server, the connecting client looks
for the appropriate driver on the print server, and then automatically
downloads it. If the printer driver for Windows 2003 server is not
installed previously and users do not have Add/Remove printer driver
permission, you will receive this error. To enable normal users to install
printer, make sure that you install printer drivers for all the supported
operating systems in your corporate network or grant users with the
permission to install printer driver.

To grant users with install printer driver permission on the domain
controller, you can add normal users to the "Printer Operators" group and
define the Load/Unload Device Drivers privilege to grant the user the
right. To set this privilege, you can perform the following steps:

1. Click Start -> Run, type "gpedit.msc" in the text box, and click OK.
2. Locate the following group policy: [Computer Configuration\Windows
Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\ User Rights
Assignment\Load/Unload Device Drivers].
3. Add the user who needs to install local printer to the group policy.
4. Click Start -> Run, type "cmd" in the text box, and click OK.
5. Run the following command to refresh the group policy:

Gpupdate /force

For management facility, you may consider create a user group that contains
users who need to add local printer and then grant Load/Unload Device
Drivers privilege to this user group.

Does it work now? If this problem continues, please help me collect some
information so that I can perform further research on this issue:

1. Do normal users try to install a network printer? Which OS is the
printer server? Have you installed the Windows 2003 printer driver on it?
2. Please run the "gpresult /v >c:\gpresult.txt" command to generate the
gpresult.

Please send the gpresult.txt file to my email address at:
laurazh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I will perform further research.

More Information
-----------------
279753 Error Message: You Do Not Have Sufficient Access to Your Machine to
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279753

I appreciate your time on this issue, please carefully go through all the
suggestion above to perform test. I am glad to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

| From: <wedor>
| Subject: Re: Terminal Server with SBS 2K3
| Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 13:03:11 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
|
| This was an operating SBS network that I have just added a Terminal
Server
| to, the printers have been installed since day one, they are an HP-4300
and
| an HP-4000 and the SBS fax, the printers are controlled by HP internal
Print
> [...]
printer
| > to the terminal server.
| >
| > Analyzing and suggestion:
| > ============
| >
| > If my understanding is correctly, you want to add the printer to the
| > Terminal server without giving the local admin right of Terminal server.
| >
| > Before we go any further, can I assume that you have already installed
the
| > printer on the SBS domain also, you just want to use normal user to add
| > the
| > printer via "add printer wizard", if so the reason might be caused by
the
| > Terminal server did not have the printer driver installed. You can
follow
| > the steps below:
| >
| > 1. Login as Administrator and install all drivers for the corresponding
| > printers on the print server.
| > 2. Users are now able to install network printers.
| >
| > If this is not your issue or your issue is not resolved after performing
| > the steps above, please help gather more information:
| >
| > 1. Could you paste the detailed error message you want to add the
printer
| > via normal user?
| > 2. Is there any error event on the event view related to printer? Please
| > also paste them to newsgroup.
| > 3. Does the issue occur on all shared network printer?
| > 4. If possible, could you tell us which policy you change.
| >
| > I really appreciate your effort on this issue, please feel free to let
me
| > know the results, I am glad to be of assistance.
| >

| > Best regards,
| >
| > Charles Yang (MSFT)
| >
| > Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

| > ======================================================
| > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have issues
| > regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the
corresponding
| > newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely
manner.
| > You can locate the newsgroup here:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
| >
| > When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check
| > the
| > "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there
are
| > any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your
newsreader,
| > please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
| > issue.
| >
| > Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
| > provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
| > different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
| > doing
| > so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
| >
| > For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
Please
| > check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
| >
| > Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
| > ======================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================

| > rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "MikeR" <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| > | Subject: Re: Terminal Server with SBS 2K3
| > | Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:21:09 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| > |
| > | Maybe I am missunderstanding but in my scenario (SBS03 + Serv03
terminal
| > | server) I have added the printers myself and the users are free to use
| > them.
| > | I did not have to change any policy to do this. There are many
changes I
| > | have made policy wise (though nothing in regard to printers) but the
| > changes
| > | were all made after I had everything set up and tested.
| > |
| > | Are you wanting your users to be able to add printers at will? What
did
| > you
| > | change or disable in policy?
| > |