Re: Re-assigning a user to a computer on the SBS 2003 Network

Hi,

Thanks for posting here! Also thanks for Javier's input.

Technically speaking, you need delete the client computer account from the
domain and then rejoin it using Setup Client Computer wizard since the
wizard will write some parameters to the client computer configuration file
and the different computer account has different SID even it is the same
computer. You can refer to the following steps to rejoin it to domain:

1). Quit the workstation from the domain. To do so, see:

Locate in Client Computers in Server Management console and choose the
computer the customer has in right panel. Click Remove from network link to
delete the computer from domain.

2). Setup the client computer by running Setup Client Computer wizard to
setup computer account.

3). In the client computer, try to join it to domain by running
http://servername/connectcomputer. And assign appropriate user accounts to
the computer.

Note: Please ensure you have added the SBS Site (http://FQDN/*) in trusted
site in IE of the laptop. You can refer to the following steps:

a. Start Internet Explorer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
c. On the Security tab, click Local intranet zone, and then click Sites.
d. Click Advanced.
e. In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type the ConnectComputer
server's IP address or the ConnectComputer server's FQDN, and then click
Add.

To restore original user profiles, you can see the following suggestions:

1). For you can easily restore your user profiles, you can enable My
Documents Redirection to redirect domain users' profiles on the client
computer to the server box, after redirection, these user profiles are
saved in server box. You need not do anything to the XP client computer
after join the XP workstation to the domain.

Small Business Server Folder Redirection, to redirect users' My Documents
folder to Users Shared Folder or another network location. This provides a
central location to backup user data as well as additional coverage to
easily recover accidentally deleted items when Shadow Copy is also enabled.
The redirection requires no additional action from the end users, and thus
it removes any complexity involving saving data across the network from
novice users. In addition, the data in My Documents are always available,
even when users log on from different computers on the network.

You can enable My Documents Redirection: Server Management Console->
Users->Configure my Documents Redirection. You will find the item in Client
Documents Redirection page.

2). If you don't want to enable My Documents Redirection, you can override
the new home folder created using old locally cached profile, for it has
different SID although the same user name. You can do as follows:

A. Logon the workstation using Administrator permission account and create
the same user accounts names (that has different SID with original user
accounts) with original workstation.
B. Logon on the workstation using those user account and OS will create
related home profile for those users.
C. Logon on the workstation using Administrator permission account again
and copy old locally cached profile to override the profile with the same
user account.

Hope above information helps! If you have any further concern on the issue
please let me know. I am happy to be assistance of you and look forward to
your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu

>From: "Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Re-assigning a user to a computer on the SBS 2003 Network
>Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 23:29:30 -0500
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>
>I'm not sure if I understand what's the problem here...
>
>If you reformatted the computer... then the laptop is no longer part of
the
>domain (even if it has the same name). Go to the server, delete the
computer
>account and recreate it. Then run the Connect Computer Wizard and migrate
>the existing (local) profile.
>
>If for some reason the computers is already part of the domain but the
user
>was not setup on the machine-> Just logon as the user one time, then logon
>as the administrator to the laptop and add the user to the local
>administrator group.
>
>--
>Javier [SBS MVP]
>www.msmvps.com/javier
><< SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>
>"LMI" <LMI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>I have just finished re-formatting a users Laptop and i want to easily
join
>> back to my SBS network. The user has a profile already created and has an
>> e-mail. I used to log on to the SBS network assign a user profile and
then
>> delete the previous computer name and then re-create it so that when im
in
>> the SBS network the computer name is shown. How can i jsut assign the
user
>> the existing PC without deleting then re-creating the computer name????

  • RE: Migrating Profile
    ... When you logon the client computer with one user account, ... The user profile is corrupted. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: user migration
    ... Unless there is a firewall on the client computer or the Internet Explorer settings prevent it from running I don't know what else to think. ... > 1) Under documents and settings there are only two account, ... >> Administrator account without transferring the profile. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Windows cannot load the local profile
    ... cannot load the local profile and is logging you on with a tempory profile. ... First, please check the user account properties on SBS domain, make sure ... Do you get this error on SBS or on client computer? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Loosing profile on computers within SBS 2003 domain
    ... client computer will create new local profile. ... Please open the user account properties on SBS, select Account tab, ... Does the problematic user create new profile every time when it logon? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: LDAP Test error unable to authenticate user
    ... 825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server ... Since the issue happen only on one client computer, ... Delete the computer account from SBS domain: ... LDAP Test error unable to authenticate user ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)